Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't view jpeg by name in picture save box  (Read 5321 times)

Harry

can't view jpeg by name in picture save box
« on: December 23, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »
Hi, I have win 98se with what I believe to be the latest version of IE. a few days ago, I downloaded an update from Microsoft. (some kind of driver) Anyway, whenever I save a jpeg or anything else, the title to what I saved is NOT visible in the "Save box" I would then save it again & it would say it already exist and would ask to overwrite it. When I leave the internet & look at it through windows, it's there. When I go back on the internet & save another jpeg/file to the exact location, nothing is there except what I saved BEFORE I downloaded the update.  I tried to reset IE to its default settings but it doesn't help. I DON't remember the driver I downloaded so I can't delete it. Anyone with suggestions? Thanks Harry

merlin_2

Re: can't view jpeg by name in picture save box
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 07:07:02 PM »
H :do you know what net connections have you got!have you got a an anti-virus ......firewall thing.... i know you just want to down the thing and its not doing it.....right!so what i would do is ..radical.....dont update win98se leave it alone!........bit of searching needed h...type c:\windows\options\cabs in the search  program......or copy and paste it...now scroll down the page.....go it so far! next to the reg32 icon.
...is one called setup<icon>m  click this and it will re-install the system without losing any files.......never lost a patience yet?.........win98 does not get to well with updates and.....ie6......

Harry

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 09:09:36 PM »
Merlin, I went EXACTLY to windows/options/cabs - don't have those files you mentioned in that area. I have the following 3 files; Hhctrl.ocx, html32.cnv and SNMP. I also don't see the "setup" icon you're talking about.  Do you have any further advice? By the way, I have Dial-up connection, Anti-virus program & firewall which worked quite well until I downloaded a stupid (update) driver just because I was trying just to maintain my system. Thanks in advance. Harry

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 05:21:58 PM »
in the msdos prompt type scanreg/restore.....and answer yes to the splash screen...and chose the last good cab file...........happy new year h.....take it easy mate...

Harry

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 05:25:19 PM »
Hi Merlin, sorry -  scanreg doesn't work - comes up with "failed"  when attempting to restore. I think it's time for me to upgrade it to XP by reformating the hard drive - Any other suggestions? Or Anyone else with any ideas? Thanks in advance - Harry

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 01:05:37 PM »
scan for trojans bugs etc.?? first.....now re-boot pc and hold down the f5 key safe mode......now chose start win form the command prompt.....now type scanreg/restore after the A:\ prompt.....answer yes to the splash screen and chose the last good cab file...

Harry

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 03:08:19 PM »
Hi Merlin  - Forget it - can't restore. I did find out that the jpegs are now being stored as JPE's. I earlier saved a jpeg and titled it "1", I then got off the internet, found it using windows and it's labed "1(squiggly line)jpe". I then opened the jpe & saved it again to the same location, and now it is saved as a "file", I would then open it with iexplorer; which would then be saved as a "normal" jpeg. Is there anyway to get it back to saving a jpeg as a jpeg instead of a JPE? I was digging into the "view" area of windows but don't want to make things worse. Thanks in Advance - Harry

Harry

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 03:14:10 PM »
Merlin - to clarify - It's saved as a jpe in the MS-dos name in properties whereas it SHOULD be " 1.jpeg" NOT "1~1.jpe" Harry