Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scanner not recognizable in User accounts  (Read 2896 times)

Lost001

Scanner not recognizable in User accounts
« on: December 24, 2004, 10:06:45 AM »
 I am running Windows XP w/ SP-2 and installed my Mustek 1200UB (USB) Scanner. This hardware works fine in my admin account but the User and the Power User account do not recognize that the scanner is plugged in.  What could be the problem? I have been looking on the internet for 2 days trying to find reference to a problem like this but have been unable to find a resolution.  ???

Lost001

Re: Scanner not recognizable in User accounts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 10:19:43 AM »
Make that Windows XP Pro w/ sp-2  ;D

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 12:52:43 PM »
When you installed the software for the scanner, did it give you the option of which accounts to install the software on? It probably only installed on yours, which is why only your account can access it. What happens if you put the software CD in one of the other accounts and try to install it?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Lost001

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 01:50:39 PM »
That was the first thing I tried. I uninstalled the hardware completly switched to the power user account and reinstalled . It still would not see the scanner on the system but when I switched back to the admin account the scanner was sitting there ready to use???  

2k dummy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 02:19:17 PM »
Try making it available in the All Users/startup

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 05:51:14 PM »
Well, for some reason its only installing on administrator accounts... Just make the Power User account an administrator...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 05:52:24 PM »
is this scanner ics shared!

Lost001

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2004, 04:47:28 PM »
 Turning the Power user account into an admin account somewhat defeats the purpose of why this account was created. I created the account for another user whom I do not intend to have admin rights.
In response to the the question by merlin_2, this is a local scanner directly connected to the system so I am unsure how Internet Connection Sharing could be causing the scanner to work only on the admin account.
 To 2K dummy... I am not sure I am understanding the statement. How do you mean make it available in the All Users/ Startup? Looking in the All Users profile directory I see the Mustek scanner listed but don't know if this is what you are saying to do.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 12:06:18 AM by Lost001 »

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 12:59:54 PM »
click my network places icon......splash screen will pop up just  follow  the  on screen instructions.