Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacing Office Suite 2002 with 2003 Version  (Read 3515 times)

dwinn

Replacing Office Suite 2002 with 2003 Version
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:00:06 AM »
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help me with these questions:

1)  Currently I have Office Suite 2002 Profesional version.  I'm thinking of replacing it with the 2003 version.  Do I need to do anything special to save all my existing emails and files in Word and Excel, along with the format I've set up for my mail in Outlook and in my Word and Excel files, when I install the 2003 version?  Are there any extra steps I have to go through or will all my existing mail, files, and format be automatically transferred after the installation?

2) From the little research I've done, Office Suite 2007 is not worth the trouble, as the improvements are not especially noticeable and ther new interfaces are quite different from the previous versions and will take time to get used to.  Is this true?  I'm relatively happy with the 2002 version and just want to have the additional  features available in the 2003 version without having to start all over again.

Thanks for your help!

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Replacing Office Suite 2002 with 2003 Version
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:07:00 AM »
Are you talking about Microsoft Office?

Installing a new version of office usually just upgrades any old versions you have installed already.  Most files and settings are left intact.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 11:30:48 AM »
1)  Currently I have Office Suite 2002 Profesional version.  I'm thinking of replacing it with the 2003 version.  Do I need to do anything special to save all my existing emails and files in Word and Excel, along with the format I've set up for my mail in Outlook and in my Word and Excel files, when I install the 2003 version?  Are there any extra steps I have to go through or will all my existing mail, files, and format be automatically transferred after the installation?
Are you talking about a full version of Office 2003 or an upgrade version?  If a full version, I feel quite sure that, if you try to install Office 2003 without first uninstalling Office 2002, the installation procedure will remove the older version of Office, but not without alerting you to that fact before proceeding. 

Uninstalling Office 2002 will not delete your Excel and Word files, i.e. those files you've created and saved with .xls and .doc filename extensions.  But, you would lose customized settings and macros.  Macros, however, can be saved/exported and then imported into Office 2003. 

For Outlook, you need to export all Outlook folders to a .pst file.  After installing Office 2003, you can import that into Outlook.

2) From the little research I've done, Office Suite 2007 is not worth the trouble, as the improvements are not especially noticeable and ther new interfaces are quite different from the previous versions and will take time to get used to.  Is this true?  I'm relatively happy with the 2002 version and just want to have the additional  features available in the 2003 version without having to start all over again.
Do you know of specific features in 2003 that 2002 does not have?  If not, why get 2003?  You might wait awhile longer and get 2007.  After all, you'll probably be taking that step at some point, won't you?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »
Well, I just went from a full version of 2002 to the full version of 2007 last week. All of my settings from each program were kept, and all of my mails and mail server settings were imported into the new Outlook by the installation.

dwinn

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 12:43:23 PM »
Well, I just went from a full version of 2002 to the full version of 2007 last week. All of my settings from each program were kept, and all of my mails and mail server settings were imported into the new Outlook by the installation.

Great, thanks to everyone who responded!  Yes, I'm talking about installing the full version of MS Office Suite 2003.  I'm hesitating now between 2003 and 2007 because of the price difference and some reviews that say it's more difficult to get used to the 2007 interface, if you had worked with the previous versions.  How do you like 2007 so far?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
I believe this is a difference between Office 2007 and earlier versions.  In other words, earlier versions would remove older versions detected during installation.  I can't say for sure how Office 2003 behaves during installation if an older version of Office is installed, but without some reliable reference to answer this, I'd err on the safe side and assume installing Office 2003 with Office 2002 present will normally remove Office 2002.

Yes, I'm talking about installing the full version of MS Office Suite 2003.  I'm hesitating now between 2003 and 2007 because of the price difference and some reviews that say it's more difficult to get used to the 2007 interface, if you had worked with the previous versions.  How do you like 2007 so far?
Oh, no question about it.  The menu structure in the Office 2007 applications has been completely revised from previous versions, so the learning curve is steeper than it was for upgrading between previous versions. 

I'm still wondering, "Do you know of specific features in 2003 that 2002 does not have?  If not, why get 2003?"

dwinn

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
I believe this is a difference between Office 2007 and earlier versions.  In other words, earlier versions would remove older versions detected during installation.  I can't say for sure how Office 2003 behaves during installation if an older version of Office is installed, but without some reliable reference to answer this, I'd err on the safe side and assume installing Office 2003 with Office 2002 present will normally remove Office 2002.

Hmm, if installing 2003 will remove 2002 and necessitate the exporting and importing of Outlook folders, then I might not want to do it, as I'm not sure I know how to do it!  If installing 2007 automatically takes care of that problem, that's a plus for me.

[/quote]Oh, no question about it.  The menu structure in the Office 2007 applications has been completely revised from previous versions, so the learning curve is steeper than it was for upgrading between previous versions. 

I'm still wondering, "Do you know of specific features in 2003 that 2002 does not have?  If not, why get 2003?"
[/quote]

I believe the macro feature in Excel 2003 is more powerful than 2002.  Also, when I try to download 2003 Excel programs online that contain macro and VBA features, they don't work because I have the 2002 version.  Plus, it seems that 2002 is the last of the dinosaur version of Office Suite, and 2003 is when things started to get amped up.  If I'm wrong, maybe I should just hang on to 2002!

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:23:07 PM »
I see you're having some problem using quotes.  I think you're omitting the first part; it works like this
Code: [Select]
[quote]put quoted content here[/quote]
Hmm, if installing 2003 will remove 2002 and necessitate the exporting and importing of Outlook folders, then I might not want to do it, as I'm not sure I know how to do it! 
Many references on how to do it can be found, such as How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2002 and in Outlook 2003

I believe the macro feature in Excel 2003 is more powerful than 2002.  Also, when I try to download 2003 Excel programs online that contain macro and VBA features, they don't work because I have the 2002 version.  Plus, it seems that 2002 is the last of the dinosaur version of Office Suite, and 2003 is when things started to get amped up.  If I'm wrong, maybe I should just hang on to 2002!
I really don't know whether that's true or not.  If you have some experience that's shown that to be the case, that would seem to validate what you're saying.  And, if it is true, then I would agree you have a valid reason for upgrading from 2002 to 2003. 

dwinn

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »
I see you're having some problem using quotes.  I think you're omitting the first part; it works like this
Code: [Select]
[quote]put quoted content here[/quote]
Thanks for your help!