Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DisableMSI does not appear in registry edit  (Read 8402 times)

Ependeon

DisableMSI does not appear in registry edit
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:32:30 PM »
The short version of the story is that when I was checking the value of DisableMSI using the registry editor under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

'DisableMSI' did not appear in the name column.  The only things in the name column are '(Default)' and 'EnableAdminTSRemote'.  I was directed by another message board to check the value of DisableMSI (making sure it is set to 0).

I was then directed to use a System File Check (SFC).  The method I used was a method if you don't have the installation CD (I only have a restore CD). After the status bar for the SFC shows that the check is complete, it disappears. I'm not sure if there is supposed to be any prompts/messages after the SFC (can anyone confirm/deny this?).  Anyhow, nothing seems to be changed after the check is complete (DisableMSI is not there still).

I am lead to believe that the absence of DisableMSI may be the source of some of the problems I am having...

I guess I might as well post the long version (in case I am going about this the wrong way)... I'll try to make this as organized as possible.

My Computer
- Acer Laptop (Aspire 1692)
- Windows XP Home

Before it first happened
- Didn't do anything out of the ordinary (ex. system changes, downloads, etc.)
- Fell asleep doing school work with MS Word and Internet Explorer running
- IExplorer was on a site using a Course Management System my university uses (called Moodle)
- When I woke up my comp was really slow so I just shut everything down and went to school, which is when the problems started...

The problems
Don't know quite where to begin...
- When I boot up a couple of processes (osa9 and windows search index) use up a lot of my cpu resources, leaving me unable to run any other programs
- When I end these processes or let them finish (which takes about 15 minutes) I can't run any programs on my computer (ex. Word, Internet Explorer, anti-viruses, the list goes on)

- I was actually able to get Word running by replacing a file (I believe I did something to the 'Normal' file) but I cannot save any work done nor can I open previously save files
- When I try to open previously saved files I get the message the it is "locked for editing by 'another user'" and I'm given the "read only" and "notify" options
- When I try "read only" I get the message that the "document name or path is not valid"

- When I try running my anti-virus (AVG) I get the error message that the "folder is not accessible" and "windows cannot find 'avgsetup.exe'..."

- Trying to run Internet Explorer gives me the worst problems, slows everything down, the task manager takes forever to come up, and pretty all I can do is restart the computer.  Other than being able to move around the mouse, the computer basically seems to freeze.

What I've tried
- Running online anti-malware (BitDefender and Ewido) - It removed a handful of 'moderate risk' files, but didn't help any.
- Disabling the processes that were giving me problems during start up (osa9 and windows search index) - didn't help either.
- Running in safe mode allows me to run Internet Explorer, but I still cannot save or open Word files and still cannot run my anti-virus and a few other programs still have problems
- Running in safe mode as administrator (even though my personal account is the only account on the computer and has administrator capabilities) allows for more programs to be run than in safe mode in my personal file (ex. my anti-virus, downloads/installations, as well as a couple other things), but problems still remain (ex. opening/saving in Word, and the list goes on)
- I ran a chkdsk on the drive - No problems were found

- When I tried uninstalling/installing MS Office I got error messages like "Error opening installation log file. Verify that specific log file location exists and is writable." when I insert the CD.  When I try uninstalling/installing MS Office in safe mode as administrator the installation begins, but I immediately get the message "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

This is pretty much what got me looking into the value for DisableMSI (which apparently doesn't exist).  I pretty much only have basic computer knowledge which pretty much ends here.  Can anyone please help me out?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: DisableMSI does not appear in registry edit
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 12:48:21 PM »
To answer your basic question:
I was checking the value of DisableMSI using the registry editor under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

'DisableMSI' did not appear in the name column.
This is probably because Windows default value is "0" (Windows Installer is enabled for all applications. All install operations are allowed), so there is no reason to make an extra registry entry.

Now, I think, we have to start with making sure, your computer is clean.
You'll need to perform some downloads, so If IE is giving you a problem, try to download Firefox, and see, if it works better.

Start here:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html
Post all logs at Computer Viruses and Spyware forum.

Ependeon

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 01:19:03 PM »
Thanks for the input  :)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Sure thing :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »
He posted couple of logs here:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,47319.new.html#new
which appeared to be clean, and there were also new developments, so please take a look, whoever wish to help.