Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maxtor Slave Harddrive  (Read 4616 times)

Nemeycs

Maxtor Slave Harddrive
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:45:18 AM »
Hi im having some problems with my Maxtor Harddrive, i just took it out of my old computer which wasn't working cant remember the problem but im pretty sure the harddrive is fine it was running Windows XP and worked like a charm,

but now i just bought my mates computer also running Windows XP with all the internal components such as RAM Harddrive etc, now i just plugged in my old Maxtor Harddrive and its saying that its found it the safe tool removal picture in the task bar and recognized it but the computer cant find it, what i mean is in My Computer i cant find my harddrive can some please help

Its a Maxtor 4RO8OLO and the master one is ST380011A what ever that is and they both seem to work find but i cant find it what could be the problem thanks

homer

Expert
    Re: Maxtor Slave Harddrive
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:53:01 PM »
    was the maxtor drive that you pulled out from your old comp the master harddrive?

Nemeycs

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:31:25 PM »
    yes homer yes it was

homer

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:30:13 PM »
      then you will probably need to reformat it.

you should be able to see the drive in disk management.

control panel > administrative tools > computer management > disk management (under storage)

from here you can format it to be a slave drive.

Nemeycs

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:49:41 PM »
      but doesnt formattin it mean i lose all my data cause thats the only reason i want it

homer

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »
        yes it does mean that you lose all your data.

BTW did you correctly set the jumper on the maxtor harddrive?

Nemeycs

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »
        and yes its set like

oo==o
        oo    o

like that i think or something similar and the harddrive says that this is slave
        is there no driver i can install or something or anyway i can get the data off this harddrive onto another one and set that to slave?

i just really want the data off that harddrive

homer

Expert
          « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 02:51:19 PM »
          i am sorry, but i cannot help you with data recovery as i am not very educated in it. you may wish to start a thread on it under the "microsoft windows" section, or wait until someone who can help you here comes along.

Nemeycs

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 04:19:25 AM »
          Does anyone know if i were to change the Maxtor to master whether that would work?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 08:06:43 AM »
          Leave it jumpered as slave...
          is it connected to the middle connector on the ribbon cable ? ?
          is the master HDD jumpered to master w/slave present ? ?
          is the master on the end connector of the ribbon cable ? ?

After checking all this and connecting things properly power up and see if it is recognised ...if it is copy/burn whatever data you need.
          If it isn't right click My Computer and select Manage.
          From there go to Disk Management.
          Right click the Maxtor and select Properties and report back with everything it says...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ianbell

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
            « Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »
            Try it with no jumpers installed - most Maxtor [now seagate] hd's run as slave with no jumpers - checked their website and cannot find that hd listed - have you got the right #s ?
            REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

Nemeycs

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 04:12:40 PM »
            Leave it jumpered as slave...
            is it connected to the middle connector on the ribbon cable ? ?
            is the master HDD jumpered to master w/slave present ? ?
            is the master on the end connector of the ribbon cable ? ?

After checking all this and connecting things properly power up and see if it is recognised ...if it is copy/burn whatever data you need.
            If it isn't right click My Computer and select Manage.
            From there go to Disk Management.
            Right click the Maxtor and select Properties and report back with everything it says...

Try it with no jumpers installed - most Maxtor [now seagate] hd's run as slave with no jumpers - checked their website and cannot find that hd listed - have you got the right #s ?

ok taking both your comments into acount

ok ive took out the jumper so its on slave and yes thats the only code thing i get on my HDD
            When you say ribbon cable i assume you mean the grey thing(my techincal terms are sh*t) th ones labbled things like MoBo Slave and Master if so yes...

Ive not checked and didnt know that the other HDD has/may has a setting for master with slave but the bois see my harddrive as secondary slave, and yes the ribon cable is set up correctly nothing changed except pluggin in the slave

This HD is old and is only an 80giger

Its quite hard for me to check now as its very late and i dont have any tools

My master HD is a ST380011A says Disk Manager so im not sure what that is will that have the jumper settings W/ Slave

Wow its actually a Seagate/Maxtor while the slave is a Maxtor the Master is a Seagate :S

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
            Let us know when you've finished investigating how the jumpers are set...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "