Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Saving Utilities & Programs  (Read 2465 times)

Szpixman

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Saving Utilities & Programs
    « on: December 07, 2007, 07:37:06 AM »
    Was just wondering what the best method is for saving various programs and such.  For example,  if you download some program such as CCleaner & Autoruns etc.,  is it best to leave the install in a folder on your computer or are you better off saving them all to a disk then delete them from the hard drive? Most of mine are free but some are paid for. 
    Am I wasting computer resources & memory by leaving them on the hard drive?

Would also like to thank everyone (especially Broni) for all their help so far & wish you all an early Merry Christmas...
        It's minus 27 C here now....brrrr.

Thanks.

TheManFrom

Rookie

Re: Saving Utilities & Programs
      « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:50:46 AM »
      This is really a personal opinion and Im sure other people will have their own, but I would back them up on another drive. They are installation files. Once the programs are installed, you dont need them so back them away. If something happens to your machine, you have the backup to return to.
      That said, I wouldnt backup the free programs, I would instead download the latest version if I needed it. The paid ones I would keep.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:57:55 PM »
      I save installation files on CDs. Cheap, and safe.
      I have 500GB HD + 250GB external (with full image there), but I still keep unnecessary stuff out of my HD.
      BTW, less stuff helps with defrag time, for instance.
      I keep free programs, too. It happened number of times before....some really good freebies, one day decided to go commercial.

Szpixman

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:27:09 AM »
        Thanks for the info. I have noticed some free stuff does get changed or becomes hard to find again sometimes...Will back everything up soon.

Great site ... I have actually been able to help my Mom & my Daughter with some minor problems thanks to all you guys at CH.

mohkiller

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 06:09:00 AM »
          I have a problem with red alert
          I got windows xp and I installed red alert (I said to my computer to run in it win95 mod) but now it gives the following message:

cannot find the entrypoint of the procedure SmapLS_IP_EBP_12 in DLL-file KERNEL32.dll

I hope I translated it correctly, I'm Dutch and here is the dutch message if it helps

kan entrypoint van procedure SMapLS_IP_EBP_12 niet vinden in DLL-bestand KERNEL32.dll
          who ho controls the past,
          controls the future

who controls the future,
          doesn't need the past

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:11:50 AM »
          I also keep downloaded program installation files, including free programs and utilities.  And, yes, I keep them on my hard drive.  But, they're on a separate partition; that way, file fragmentation is not an issue.  I also back them up on an external drive.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
          mohkiller
          You need to start own topic.