Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: missing hard drive  (Read 3278 times)

Taras49

Topic Starter

Rookie

missing hard drive
    « on: December 09, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »
    I reinstalled Windows XP on my desktop computer, but my second hard drive isn't showing up.  it's connected but windows doesn't see it

ianbell

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
      Re: missing hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 03:13:02 PM »
      Assuming your hd's are properly configured [jumpers for master and slave] and on correct ribbon plugs - open the BIOS screens at boot up and check that you have 2 hd's showing, if not scroll to "auto detect" which should bring up both hd's.  Reboot and you should be good to go.
      REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

Taras49

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 03:30:51 PM »
        I pressed F1 during startup and I'm at the BIOS SETUP UTILITY,  I can't find "auto detect"  Am I in the right place?

ianbell

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
          « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 03:41:48 PM »
          In your BIOS directory everything you need should be on page 1 which should list 2 hd's and your CDROM - with the arrow keys scroll down past the 'master' to something like 'primary slave' and there should be instructions at the bottom of the page as to how to change settings [usually page up and down keys]  if the slave is not showing change the setting to 'user' and if auto detect is not listed - often auto detect is F3 - if this works you should now be showing a primary master, a primary slave and a cdrom, if so hit esc, scroll down to exit and 'y' to reboot.
          REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 06:46:35 AM »
          You sure you re-installed XP to the correct drive ? ?
          It may be the first drive not being seen if it was having issues...

More info.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Taras49

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:02:47 AM »
            Yes, I'm pretty sure XP is on the right drive.  the info about the BIOS was confusing because my BIOS SETUP page didn't have what IAMBELL told me to look for. (auto detect)  I don't know what information is needed to help me but I copied this info from the desktop.  It's a Gateway with XP home version 2002,  Pentium 4 cpu, 1.80GHz, 512 mb Ram.  Does this help?