Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clean Install XP While Games on are second hard drive...  (Read 3565 times)

Mr.Bond

Clean Install XP While Games on are second hard drive...
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:39:20 PM »
So here is my problem: I have two hard drives in my computer, a 36gb WD Raptor which has XP Pro and a few very small programs, and a 250gb WD which I put all my programs/games on. About every year I do a clean install of XP by using DBAN and then just simply installing xp. The problem is that even though I have installed all my games onto the 250gb (which I do not wipe) the games will not run because there are some files that are put onto my C: drive even though I installed it on my G: drive. My question is: "Is there a way to clean install my C: drive while not having to reinstall all my programs? What files should I look for in the C: drive that I should copy or whatever so I can paste them back once I've reinstalled XP?" Any help on this subject would be great. Thanks!

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Clean Install XP While Games on are second hard drive...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »
A lot of games rely on their registry entries and won't work properly or at all without them. As for making them work, there is no easy way. You could try to exporting the registry settings for each game, then importing them into the new install, but it doesn't always work and messing with the registry can often make things worse.

I would recommend just reinstalling the games.