Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor output turned off  (Read 2099 times)

ydur

Monitor output turned off
« on: December 20, 2007, 01:08:52 PM »
In desktop settings under advanced/display (XP), I accidentally turned off the monitor. Computer starts up but only has a black screen. How do I turn the monitor output back on?

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Monitor output turned off
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
    How exactly did you turn it off? I just tried disabling the monitor in the Device manager and I still picture on the screen.

have you tried starting the computer in safe mode?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

ydur

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 01:46:19 PM »
    From the desktop, I click properties, then settings and advanced.  From there, I click Dispalys.  On the displays page, I clicked the upper corner of the monitor (on/off) button.  It turned red.  The frame would not let me out without clicking ok.  Following this, the screen went black. 

I started the computer in the safe mode. Still black screen with blank task bar.  I can get to the desktop properties but not to the ATI advance screen.  Still stuck
    « Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 01:57:05 PM by ydur »

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »
      Ahh that option is something specific to the older ATI drivers. I'm raking my brain here but I just can't remember a way of re-enabling the monitor without having to uninstall and reinstall the ATI driver. You should be able to uninstall from safe mode and then access windows normally again to reinstall the driver.

Else wait and see if someone else have an easier solution.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)