Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: (Un-)partitioning WD Passport external hard drive  (Read 5102 times)

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

(Un-)partitioning WD Passport external hard drive
    « on: December 21, 2007, 06:44:51 AM »
    Hi,
    I just bought a WD Passport 250 GByte external USB drive.  Out of the box it is formatted as one 250Gig FAT32 partition.   I decided to divide it into 2 partitions, one for Win and the other for Mac (I have a Win XP desktop and a MacBook laptop).  The partitioning went as planned, but the Win partition is formatted NTFS which the Mac doesn't like and the Mac partition I fortmatted as Mac OS Extended which Win doesn't like.
    Big mistake !  I realise now that is not what I wanted because Macs can't work with NTFS and Win can't work with Mac formatting.  So, I want to go back to the whole drive being a single partition in FAT32 which would be accessible from both machines.
    Can anyone please tell me how I can do that ?  Format the whole drive as a 250 Gig FAT32.  When, in Computer Management, I try to create a single partition, it makes it NTFS by default, not what I want.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

a

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: (Un-)partitioning WD Passport external hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:36:10 AM »
    I would use the Data Lifeguard tools from WD to accomplish this ...prepare it as a new drive and you will be given a choice early on to select FAT32....

There are some issues with those drives containing built in DRM protections...I'd suggest DO NOT install the software that ships with the drive.

The Data Lifeguard tools will not do this so you are safe there. DLoad them from WD's site FREE.

More Reading on that drive and the DRM protections issue...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:31:37 PM »
      Thanks a lot Patio.  That set me in the right direction.  The Data Lifeguard Tools are useful but still would not allow me to do what I wanted and that was a single 250 GB FAT32 partition.  Digging further into that same website though I came across exactly what I needed, a formatting utility specifically to restore a WD external drive back to its single FAT32 partition.  A quick download, install and run and there I am, back to the original state. 
      Thanks for your guidance.
      J

a

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:20:36 AM »
      I don't understand how the Data Lifeguard tool would not work but i'm glad to hear you are fixed up...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 12:27:30 AM »
        The Data Lifeguard Tools conformed to the WinXP limitation of max 32G partition in FAT32.  If I specified a partition greater than 32G it automatically set NTFS as the format so my single 250G partition could only be NTFS.  Obviously WD appreciate this limitation since they do provide a special formatter to make the whole hdd FAT32.  I found that eventually and am "fixed up" as you say.  Thanks.
        J

a