Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Text narratives unreadable. Hieroglyphics. Symbols not words/letters  (Read 5805 times)

Falconfixer

I downloaded PC Mighty Max to help with an AcroPDF.dll problem I've been having for a while.  After running that, Windows will no longer boot up. It took PC Mighty Max almost 20 hours to run through system scan.  It said I had problems with my directory.  After completing system scan, all text is no symbols and unreadable shapes and lines.  Not sure if PC Mighty Max is responsible but this all occurred after running the system scan.  It looks like Egyption hieroglyphics now.  I can boot up in Safe Mode but can't read any of the text to go to system restore to an earlier time.  Boot up with last good settings doesn't work either.  I can put in the boot disk (DVD) and select command prompt.  It gives me an A: prompt but I can't get out of the A:  I try to secect C: (my hard drive) but it says C: is an invalid directory.  All I can get is A: and B: in DOS.  After a period of inactivity, screen saver will come on and work.  Only readable text are Windows logo and Icon images.  Text below Icons is a jumbled mess of symbols, partial letters, triangles and lines.  I can get to the page where you can select Owner or Administrator but I only recognize the page; I can't read any of the text.  My computer isn't acting right and I'm not sure even if I could navigate to the restore to earlier time that it would work.  I don't want to have to reload/overwrite everything with the boot disk but I may have no other options.  I'm getting nowhere.  I've searched through all posts and found nothing similar to this problem.  Please help
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:33:19 PM by Falconfixer »

d1128

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    have you fixed the symbol problem?  if so, what did you do? I have the same problem.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    He hasn't been back for 4 1/2 years...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "