Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Half-Life 2 help  (Read 5023 times)

Sean

Half-Life 2 help
« on: December 31, 2004, 02:15:09 PM »
Whenever I install half-life 2 it will install but then when I go to play I get the following message:

Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: delete of Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 5 "Access is Denied"

And then it closes down. It always happens when steam is updating I think.

I run XP.

merlin_2

« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 05:29:13 PM by merlin_2 »

Corrosive

Re: Half-Life 2 help
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 01:01:11 PM »
If it's any help, Steam is a network tool developed by Valve in order to make it easier to download, purchase and play games over the net... I think. But anyway, it was a pretty vast project in itself and has angered a lot of people because of the number of little bugs in the code.

Presumably you are attempting to unlock the game when you get the error?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 07:02:01 PM »
Well, nobody said that the internet was reliable... lol   It sounds like it is just the script that is having a problem, and not your computer...

[glb]flame[/glb]

Sean

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 07:21:23 PM »
Turns out that when you install HL2 it comes with a version of Steam which then goes online and checks for an update of itself. If it finds a new version it downloads it installs it and deletes itself. It turns out there was spyware/adware/malware  that wasnt letting the new version install or something like that. After running spysweeper adware and spybot three times each I got it to work.

travelr

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 01:26:33 PM »
hey, im having problems with my video card and im just trying to get some help.  the problem has been happening with half life two, but it has also happened in onther 3d games.  ill be playing the game and all of a sudden the screen will go black and the moniter reponds no signal.  nvidia, the makers of my card, say that it is due to refresh rate, so i changed my refresh to 60hz as sugested.  this didnt help.  i was wondering if anyone knew another solution.  maybe the resolution of the game itself, could it be my moniter?  any suggestions that could help me would be greatly appriciated because i just want to play this game... it is awesome.  thanks

chris

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
Ok. I have 3 things to tell you... First, I need your video card specs.... Second, can your computer handle whatever card it is? Third, are your drivers installed properly? Get back with us...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

travelr

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 10:53:38 PM »
my video card is a nvidia geforce 5600 with 256.  im almost positive my comp can handle it, its a pentium 4, 2._ ghz.  its a vaio machine if that makes a difference.  the drivers are all installed properly, i actually took it to a computer shop and had them install everything.  everything is up to date, they cant seem to find the problem either.  ive been told that it could be heat, but the fan works on the card and in the machine.  temp isnt overly high either.  any other ideas.  finally, if not, what videocard to you suggest replacing this one with.  im currently trying to play world of warcraft and half life 2.  thanks.