Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: static/fuzzy screen, virus? magnetic? need help copying files  (Read 4923 times)

mindtrick

static/fuzzy screen, virus? magnetic? need help copying files
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:19:08 PM »
First, I searched the archives but couldn't find anything to help me out, so thank you to anyone who can offer me some advice.

I have a HP desktop computer with Windows XP. A couple weeks ago, I came home from work and the screen display seemed a bit fuzzy, almost like it was a tv with a bad signal. Then, by the end of the night, I couldn't use it at all as the "static" had gotten so bad that I couldn't see anything I was doing. The only way I can think to describe this is like a television that is getting really bad reception, and is full of static. I initially thought it was my monitor, but when the monitor first comes on, the monitor brand logo is clear, and I still have this problem when my computer is hooked to another monitor. I think that my problem is either a virus, or some sort of electronic device has had some sort of magnetic charge to it (though I can't think of anything specific). I am assuming I cannot fix this problem. If I could, that would be great. But at this point, I just want to get as many files that I can off of it. The computer still works, I just can't see enough of the screen to go through the process of burning my files to CDs. I was just wondering if there was anyway to burn files from my C drive onto a disk without having to use my monitor at all or very much. I was hoping there would be some kind of keyboard shortcuts that could help me do this. I have a lot of pictures and music files i would love to get off of there. This will teach me to back up my files!

If you need anymore info, please ask. Thank you so much to anyone who can offer help.

-Stacey

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: static/fuzzy screen, virus? magnetic? need help copying files
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 11:30:43 PM »
This type of an issue would not be caused by a virus. It's likely either a driver issue, issue with video configuration, and/or potentially bad video card.
Since you indicate that the video is fine when the computer first boots up I'd assume its one of the first two.

I'm assuming you're running Windows XP...

Try booting the computer into Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode reboot or turn it on and as it is starting press the F8 over and over until the Startup menu appears that allows you to select Safe Mode. Additional information and help with getting into Safe Mode can be found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

If you're able to get into safe mode open Device Manager. You can get into Device Manager quickly by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard at the same time as the Pause key and in System Properties click the Hardware tab. Additional information and help with Device Manager can also be found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/win95er.htm

Once in device manager click the "+" next to Display adapters and highlight all Display adapters and press the delete key to remove the video card. Once all have been remove reboot the computer and allow Windows to reinstall the video card.

As far as backing up data withing being able to see anything, unfortunately that would be impossible.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein