Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard and mouse stop working.......  (Read 2088 times)

Woodguy

Keyboard and mouse stop working.......
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »
Hello all,  first the basics:  the mouse and keyboard will stop working for no reason. It will happen on a web page, it will happen in email, it will happen when it's not being asked to do anything, it will happen after hibernation, it will happen when I'm playing solitare. 
The system:  7 year old compac presario.  Speed is 1100mhz, 1 gig of ram, 35 gig of hard drive (newer seagate), newer CD (sony) writer, Windows XP Pro with SP2. The system has the original video card and sound card.  I interface with the web through cox high speed internet service.

The story:  I started having problems with MS Outlook express not sending mail.  What that finally ended up being was a corrupted db file.  The current issue with the keyboard and mouse started shortly after the fix (deletion of db file) .

What I have done:  deleted the send db file-deleted the last outlook hotfix update, ran every scan known to us mere mortals, visited microsoft, updated any drivers I could find relating to mice/keyboards. 

The problems does not seem to be associated with a length of time or a specific action on my part.  There are no error messages, no odd hd sounds or any other noise/action related to it.  They both just stop, ctrl/alt/delete will do nothing, the only recovery is reboot.  I would really appreciate some help.  Thanks for your time and trouble.
Doug in AZ.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Keyboard and mouse stop working.......
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »
USB or PS2 ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Woodguy

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:15:21 PM »
Mouse and keyboard both are PS2.

Woodguy

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »

Thanks for nothing.  appreciate the total lack of responses.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:09:59 AM »
Try a new keyboard and mouse....and cheer up. We're not all here 24/7.

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "