Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firmware Update  (Read 2646 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Firmware Update
    « on: January 05, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »
    Where can I find updates for my maxtor firmware?  300 GB DiamondMax Model # 6B300SO  Serial # B603FP5H Code BANC1870 K,G,B,A
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Firmware Update
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »
    Why would you want to risk ruining a perfectly good HDD ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »
      I was told by the maxtor company that it needed updateing and I didn't get it in my e-mail.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Computer Hope
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:39:17 AM »
      Most hardware manufacturers (including Seagate who now owns the rights to Maxtor) do not make firmware updates available on their website because of the potential hazards that can be encountered during the update.

If Maxtor (Seagate) has suggested a firmware update I'd suggest contacting them again letting them know you didn't get it.
      Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
      -Albert Einstein

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:52:44 AM »
        Okay, just wondered if I couldn't get it any were

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 04:54:01 AM »
          I talked w/ seagate and they said there were no updates for the drive, said that I should get the drive replace, swith it to make it a d drive or get powermax.  Any suggestions?

Deerpark

Egghead
            « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:00:40 AM »
            You mean suggestions other than the ones offered by Seagate? No, go with one of the options suggested by Seagate. Personally I would get the drive replaced.
            Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
            Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 05:40:28 AM »
              So your saing that it could fail as a slave.

Deerpark

Egghead
                « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 06:03:20 AM »
                I honestly don't know. But the drive have some kind of defect if it can't function as a master and I personally wouldn't trust it then. If it's brand new then take advantage of your warranty and get a fully functional drive.
                Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 06:55:29 PM »
                  Unfortunely its not I got it refurbished.  I'm going to see if the problem still doesn't occur and if it does, I'm going to get a 320 gb to replace it.