Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Keeps freezing on blue screen during start up  (Read 3061 times)

bradi55489

Laptop Keeps freezing on blue screen during start up
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »
It started happening a few months ago. I turn on my laptop and it will go to the windows loading screen then go to a black screen which i am able to see my curser and move it around. After about 30 seconds it will bring me to the blue screen but I am not able to choose a name to log in. I either get a windows xp logo or i get a welcome message. If i get the logo it wont go into windows and it forces me to turn it off and back on again. If i get the welcome message it will bring me into windows but sometimes will even freeze then. Also the only way I can get my laptop off is by the power button. It won't work if i go to start menu and shutdown, or it wont even restart. I have windows xp home edition.

Any help on what may be doing this and what can be done to fix it I would appreciate. I've got Norton internet security 2008 and spy sweeper and both have come up with nothing.

Thanks

bradi55489

Re: Laptop Keeps freezing on blue screen during start up
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »
I have HP Pavilion dv2037. It has the SP 2.  1 GB of RAM. 100 GB hard drive.

PosterGrampa

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »
Quote "After about 30 seconds it will bring me to the blue screen "
What is the message on the blue screen if any?? this sometimes is called the blue screen of death,,, had U installed any new hardware or programs before U started having the boot problems???
Regards,
PG

bradi55489

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:01:24 PM »
What is the message on the blue screen if any?? this sometimes is called the blue screen of death,,, had U installed any new hardware or programs before U started having the boot problems???
Regards,
PG

Like i said in my 1st post. There will be 2 different outcomes to the blue screen. Either it shows the Windows xp logo and just sits there forcing me to turn it off and back on. Or it will say welcome and bring me to windows. I can't remember what if any new hardware or programs i installed before I started having this problem because it has been happening for a few months. Basically the blue screen I get is the same as the login for windows XP. Except it wont bring me to log in to my accounts.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »
    A couple of options here...

1. Do a system restore (from system tools) to a prior date...not really feasible because this has been going on for a few months
    2. Do a system restore with the XP cd...the real one

Can you boot into Safe Mode at all?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

bradi55489

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »
    My system restore will only let me go back like a month ago i don't know why but that won't do much help for me. I also can't find my windows XP cd.

Safe mode does work and the startup for safe mode is exactly how the real startup should be. It brings me to the login part where i can choose administrator or another profile.

Still I would like to get the regular windows to startup like it does in safemode.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »
    Regards,
    PG

Sounds like he's talking about the XP logging screen, not a BSOD.

My system restore will only let me go back like a month ago i don't know why but that won't do much help for me. I also can't find my windows XP cd.

Well, then you're not going to get very far. Best suggestion: Find the CD. You're most likely gonna need it.