Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I "recover" the computer back to "out of box" settings?  (Read 7979 times)

Leftist Protozoa

How do I "recover" the computer back to "out of box" settings?
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »
I may not be asking this question correctly, and I know the phrase "recover" might throw some people... so let me see if I can describe my question better.

I have a Compaq Presario V2000 that runs Windows XP (version 2002, Service Pack 2). I'm considering giving it away, donating it, or otherwise disposing of it. I'd like to re-set everything so that when I boot it up the next time, all the software, files, settings are exactly like they were the first time I booted it up. In other words.... I want to wipe out all my files, cookies, credit card info, etc. I don't care about backing up anything; I just want it all to be like it was when the thing was new.

BTW, I did a search and couldn't find any threads that answeredmy question. But, when you're as "computer dumb" as I am, sometimes asking the question is the hardest part.  :P

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: How do I "recover" the computer back to "out of box" settings?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:06:56 PM »
What you are wanting to do is often called a reformat, or a clean install.

With your computer, you should have had a set of discs that came with it. Find the one titled Operating System, put it in your computer, and restart.

Go through the set up.

Note:
This will delete all your data... which, if you have not backed up, could be a potential issue.
Also, if you stored any secured information on the computer, you may consider waiting for someone to recommend good hard drive "shredding" software before donating it. A physical removal of all data can be done to the drive if you plan on destroying it.

Leftist Protozoa

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »
Is there a way to do it without the discs? I'm not sure if I ever had any (the computer was a hand-me-down from another family member a long time ago).

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:35:26 PM »
Then, you can't.
All you can do is to reformat your hard drive, so it does have any private data.

Leftist Protozoa

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:40:19 PM »
Reformat the hard drive? Isn't that what I was asking how to do? I'm not sure. Honestly, I don't want any personal data left on the computer.

How do I go about doing that?

Thanks for the help so far!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »
Reformat the hard drive? Isn't that what I was asking how to do? I'm not sure. Honestly, I don't want any personal data left on the computer.

How do I go about doing that?

Thanks for the help so far!
The best bet would be to not give the computer away with the hard drive in it.
You can easily remove the drive, it doesnt take a computer expert, and then give it away without the drive, and just tell the new owner they need a new drive...
Or, you can find a program called a hard drive shredder, this will allow the contents of the disk to be completely written over to the point where it cannot be recovered.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »
If you plan on not keeping the drive, you can just open it up, and take a hammer to it (outside, and take the hammer slowly with proper eye protection! Dont let things shatter all over...) and your data wont be recoverable even by the best of the government.

Leftist Protozoa

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 09:59:28 PM »
Zylstra

Those options sorta stink!  :D

Seems like removing the hard drive (which is something I can do) would defeat the purpose. A new hard drive would be expensive, and I'm guessing the new owner would need to buy OS software as well.  ???

Same deal with the shredder. Wouldn't it also destroy the original software?

I could swear that there was a way I was able to "reformat" the computer and get everything back to "out of the box" condition. I did this before on a computer that had a virus or something, years ago (it fixed the problem, by the way).

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 10:07:47 PM »
Well, you see:
If you want to protect your data, all your data will have to go...
A shredder program takes a file. This isnt how it really works, but lets say the file has this data in it:

Code: [Select]
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dogThen it takes that data, and turns it into something else, like this:
00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xxThen it takes it again, and turns it into:
23049ei0fk02mrf3iteb093qnignvie39t0q49jgvm34wq-qt0jf4i3n3thbpodfng93m5e4rhtbipon3903qng
And then, it deletes the file. When you delete a file, it is still there, its just hidden. A shredder program makes sure that even the deleted data is still unreadable, even by an expert.
Thus, rendering your computer cleaned.

Now, as for deleted software, as long as you dont have the discs, you wont be able to get it back to brand new conditions. You can call the manufacture of your computer, and they may be able to send you a new disc, however, point of the matter still remains, even with that disc, your personal data will continue to exist in the background of your data... you will need to use a software data shredder, or replace the drive.

What kind of computer are we talking about here, is this something capable of the Internet? What OS did it have installed on it?

Leftist Protozoa

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
It's a Compaq Presario V2000 that runs Windows XP (version 2002, Service Pack 2). It does have the ability to access the internet.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »
I could swear that there was a way I was able to "reformat" the computer and get everything back to "out of the box" condition.
If you have Recovery Partition on your hard drive.

Leftist Protozoa

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 10:20:19 PM »
Is that something that Windows XP doesn't provide?

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
With Compaq, hit F10 key at the startup.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »
Every Compaq has Recovery Partition. It's made by computer maker, not Micro$oft.