Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP won't recognize new hard drive  (Read 6153 times)

jefferzbooboo

Windows XP won't recognize new hard drive
« on: January 08, 2008, 09:35:45 PM »
I bought a new hard drive today, a Western Digital OEM Cavier 80gb SATA hard drive.  I currently use 2 IDE hard drives, a 6 gb for XP as primary master, a DVD burner as primary slave, and a 80 gb in secondary master.  I use an Asus A8v-vm mobo.
My problem is that my bios recognizes the hard drive when I go under hard drives in the BIOS, but Windows does not recognize the new drive.
Anyone got any help?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows XP won't recognize new hard drive
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 09:53:50 PM »
You need to press F6 at the beginning of the installation and when prompted, provide the SATA driver diskette so setup can see the drive.

jefferzbooboo

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »
does the SATA drivers come from Win XP disk?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:00:56 PM »
As far as I know, they either come on a disk with your drive or you can download the driver from WD's website. http://www.wdc.com

jefferzbooboo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 10:39:40 PM »
I downloaded the Western Digital Data lifegaurds tool and it doesn't detect the drive.  I got the stuff  from http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=15&swid=53

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 11:26:57 PM »
Well, I can't get to their download area right now for some reason. I get the following message from their download site:

Sorry, a system error has occured. An error notification has been sent out to the technical support team, and the problem will be solve as soon as possible. Please retry your request now or at a later time. Thank you.

I'll try to get on it later when I get back to the office and see if I can find that SATA driver for you.

I'm not familiar with their Lifeguard tools, so I can't really diagnose what problem you might be experiencing with it. I can't look at it on this system, as it has a solid state disk and not a hard drive. I have a desktop system with a WD drive in the office. Again, I'll check that when I get back.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »
This is what WD says about loading drivers:
FROM HERE
During the initial installation of Windows, you will need to press F6 almost immediately when "Setup is inspecting your hardware..." appears on the screen. You will then be asked to provide any mass storage controller drivers you may have. At this point, use the drivers supplied by your controller manufacturer (or motherboard manufacturer). After performing the steps above, the drive will be recognized and the install should continue without problems.

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 04:14:47 AM »
    Yes you will need to download SATA controller drivers from ASUS not WD.
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8V-VM
    But strangely enough I can't find a Windows SATA controller driver anywhere on the site.

So if that is the motherboard you've got... (Notice that Asus also have A8V-VM Ultra and A8V-VM SE versions so be sure it's not one of them.)
    I found the driver you need directly from VIA instead. It's the "VIA V-RAID Driver".
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=36&CatID=2920&SubCatID=167

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jefferzbooboo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 01:27:05 AM »
    Thanks for the help.  Downloaded the VIA drivers and it works like a champ, thanks!

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 02:46:23 AM »
      You're welcome, good to hear everything is working. :)
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)