Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Video Card - PX8500GT  (Read 4226 times)

201flyer

Problem with Video Card - PX8500GT
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:37:31 PM »
I need some help please. I replaced an ATI 158 MB card in a Dell GX620 (Pent(R) D 2.8 GH, 2 GIG Ram, DX9, Win XP SP2) with the Leadtek PX8500GT (256 MB). I removed all old drivers for ATI, downloaded latest drivers, and the installation went normally. It passes all direct x tests and DVD video and normal windows looks fine....but when I try to play games with motion (even old games that barely have any serious 3D requirements) the card struggles. The motion is jerky and graphics are blotchy. Everything is at default settings. ATI card worked fine and was quite smooth. Big thanks for a suggestion.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Problem with Video Card - PX8500GT
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:06:47 PM »
If your motherboard has an integrated GPU, even though you are adding the video card shut it off in the bios config, so that it is truely off.

Being that it is a better 8500GT you dont have to deal with the shared Ram issue that was snuck in under many consumers radar with the 7300 GS. I had a 7300 GS given to me for free because a friend bought it and it eats up 256MB system Ram and adds it to its 256 onboard to make 512MB Video. Not Very Efficient, and a cheap way to squeeze in an extra 256MB Ram and mislead consumers into believing that their card is a 512MB Card, when its really a 512MB that is a 256 grabbing an additional 256 from system Ram... And how is this betetr than integrated Video when you are sharing System Ram for Video.... Unfortunately it does run better than integrated, but not a sgood as stand alone dedicated GPU Ram.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:31:15 PM »
Was this card new ? ?
Can you test it on another machine to make sure the card is good ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

201flyer

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »
Hey, thanks for your answers! I'm getting more confused....not good.

On the box - this brand new card - the card is supposed to be 256MB, which is what I thought I was buying. But if I go into Display properties/adapter it says the following:

Chip  GeForce 8500GT
DAC Integrated RAMDAC
Memory size: 512 MB*
Bios Version 60.86.39.00.68

* but on booting the computer the video RAM is listed as 256MB.

So do I have one of those cards that  shares RAM? My system has 2 GB of RAM so I'm not sure why that would be messing it up? So far I can't see how to turn off that property.

I got this "upgrade" (no read that downgrade!) just to be able to run a model airplane flight sim....the min requirements are DX9 and 256 MB on board RAM. When the plane flies just across a clear sky there is no hesitation or jerkiness in the control of the plane, but as soon as any stationary background scenery comes into view the motion is very negatively affected. With the old ATI 128MB card the plane flies smoothly in all conditions, but the detail is rather lacking, and edges are quit ragged.

Unfortunately I don't have another computer I can check the card in....My requirements for a card are/were PCI express, 256MB on board, DX9, and low raise form factor. This last requirement has greatly limited my selections...

I'm going to try updating the MB bios...

Any other ideas?