Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sleep Mode  (Read 6316 times)

myworldforme

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Sleep Mode
    « on: January 10, 2008, 03:49:20 PM »
    When I shut my laptop while its on, it automatically goes into sleep mode. Is going into sleep mode bad for my computer? Like, does sleep mode start using up HD space that when my computer starts getting low on memory, I won't be able to delete the old sleep mode files. Or can I only use sleep mode for so many times, or it starts messing up my computer, etc...

I'm just wondering because sleep mode seems faster for starting up instead of always turning off my computer. So if sleep mode doesn't do anything, I thought I would just put it into sleep mode instead. But then I started thinking if it was bad, so now I'm here asking the pros  :) If anyone can help, its always greatly appreciated. Thanks

PS: running on vista, 200g HD, laptop

dairyman

Re: Sleep Mode
    « Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:11:05 PM »
    You mean hibernation?

The hibernation file on your computer can take up a lot of disk space. If you don't have much disk space, you might want to disable hibernation. You should shut down your computer when you won't be using your computer for a long time.

myworldforme

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
      No, I'm sure its sleep mode. Of the options of having my computer of no power, i have: Hibernate, Shut Down, or Sleep. I'm sure it's sleep mode.

And out of curiousity...can i delete the hibernation file? Cause i have my old pc that i used hibernate alot and its low on HD space... if i can delete it, where might I find it?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:36:25 PM »
      can i delete the hibernation file?
      Yes, here it's how to do it:
      http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/hiberfil-sys-xp.html

myworldforme

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:23:59 PM »

Thank you very much =D

Now does anyone have any answers to my first question?

When I shut my laptop while its on, it automatically goes into sleep mode. Is going into sleep mode bad for my computer? Like, does sleep mode start using up HD space that when my computer starts getting low on memory, I won't be able to delete the old sleep mode files. Or can I only use sleep mode for so many times, or it starts messing up my computer, etc...

I'm just wondering because sleep mode seems faster for starting up instead of always turning off my computer. So if sleep mode doesn't do anything, I thought I would just put it into sleep mode instead. But then I started thinking if it was bad, so now I'm here asking the pros  :) If anyone can help, its always greatly appreciated. Thanks

PS: running on vista, 200g HD, laptop

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:33:40 PM »
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

In Windows Vista, 'Stand By' and 'Hibernate' have been combined into an additional 'Sleep' function which is active by default. When chosen, this new 'Sleep" mode saves information from the computer's memory to the hibernation file on disk, but instead of turning off the computer, it simultaneously enters Standby mode. After a specified amount of time (3 hours by default), it shuts down (hibernates). If power is lost during Standby mode, the system resumes from the existing hibernate image on disk. Sleep mode, thus, offers the benefits of fast suspend and resume when in Standby mode and reliability when resuming from hibernation, in case of power loss. Also, in earlier Windows versions, drivers sometimes prevented Windows from entering or reliably resuming from a power-saving state. Windows Vista ensures the availability and reliable resuming from any power state. Applications can disable sleep idle timers when needed such as when burning discs or recording media. Away mode, which is not a power plan by itself but a feature, automatically turns off displays, video rendering and sound but keeps the computer working when the user is away from the computer. Optionally, it can also transition to sleep mode.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 11:34:17 PM »
        With 200GB HD, I wouldn't worry about it.

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 04:14:51 AM »
          I agree with Broni. The size of the hibernation file is equal to the amount of RAM you have installed. So even if you have 4 gb of RAM this is still nothing on a 200 gb hard drive. Don't worry about it and enjoy sleep mode. Just remember to do a restart once in a while to clear the memory.
          « Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 09:00:49 AM by Deerpark »
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

myworldforme

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:18:19 AM »
            Ok great. Thanks. And by what do you mean by "restart"? As in actually restarting my computer or clearing the hibernation file?

Deerpark

Egghead
              « Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 11:55:02 AM »
              Restarting your computer is enough. You shouldn't have to touch the hibernation file.
              Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
              Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)