Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing files for east asian languages  (Read 5069 times)

Wizard

Installing files for east asian languages
« on: January 12, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »
Hello,

I am trying to install the Korean language on my computer. I know exactly how to do it, as I've looked at various tutorials on the internet such as:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/user/xpintlsupp.mspx
http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/asianlanguageinstallation_XP.html

So, for those who don't want to look at the above links, what I should do is go to Control Panel -> Regional settings/language -> Languages Tab -> AND AT THIS POINT, check the "Install files for East Asian languages" box. It should prompt me to locate the files wherever they may be.

However, this does not happen. Instead, after I press OK on the pop-up box asking me whether I want it to install the files or not, the box becomes unchecked and everything returns to how it was a few seconds earlier. Repeated attempts were futile.

I looked on the internet and I found similar problems, but no solutions.

This is of course hardly a hardware problem so all I think I need to say is that I'm running Windows XP Pro, Sp2.

Please help.

Thanks,

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Installing files for east asian languages
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
Someone please help, sorry for the bump, but I need to make this work relatively quickly.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
Do you have your Windows CD?  Did you have it in your CD-ROM drive when you tried this?

Wizard

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
Yes, I tried it with the CD, but still nothing. Nevertheless, it should pop up a box (I would imagine) asking me to locate the files, but it dosen't do that all. :/

soybean

Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »
With you Windows CD in the CD drive, can you browse the folders and files on it with Windows Explorer?

Wizard

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 03:35:49 PM »
Yes, and I can go into the I386/LANG folder on the CD. The thing is, besides doing it the 'automated' way, is there a specific sub-folder in the Windows folder that I can transfer those files into? And which of those would be the Korean one?

But to answer your question simply, yes.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »
Yes, and I can go into the I386/LANG folder on the CD. The thing is, besides doing it the 'automated' way, is there a specific sub-folder in the Windows folder that I can transfer those files into?
Well, I didn't mean to suggest that approach.  I was just seeking some verification that your Windows CD has not been damaged with scratches or whatever.

This is puzzling; I think we need to determine why your computer won't proceed to install the language when you select the box for "Install files for East Asian languages".  I've installed Korean before and had no problem.  So, I don't know why your system isn't responding the way it should.  If I can think of any troubleshooting steps or find any reference, I'll post back. 

Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

Wizard

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »
Ok, I believe I found the problem.

The folder "C:\Windows\mui" which usually contains the multilingual files/folders is entirely empty. I believe that a long time ago I deleted the files because under normal circumstances, if you are only going to use English, they are unneccesary and at the time, I was short on space.

I'm almost 99% sure that this is the source of the problem. My new problem is where I can find the files -__-

Any ideas? I can't seem to find a downloadable torrent or something similar :/

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:33:41 PM »
Well, I just re-installed Korean and my mui folder is empty.  However, my ime folder is about 75MB.  How about yours?

soybean

Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 04:53:01 PM »
Here's something I think you should see: Microsoft Global Input Method Editors (IMEs)

Wizard

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 05:06:06 PM »
This could very well be the reason. My ime folder is only 600~ kb :/

I am downloading the Korean one atm, thanks! I'll reply if it works :D