Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Somethings broken, but I don't know what.  (Read 2627 times)

tuvi3t4u

Somethings broken, but I don't know what.
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:19:03 PM »
The problem is my computer is very unstable, any game I play it will be smooth and then it starts lagging like crazy. After 2-3 mins it would return to being smooth with fps between 80-100, then it will start lagging like crazy again. I don't know if it just does this while playing games or not, and I don't know how to test if it does. I have tried replacing the RAM, but same result with the new RAM.

I'm not sure if it's the video card, I have the newest driver.
I'm leaning towards, maybe its the CPU, but I'm not really sure. How do I test my video card and CPU to see if its broken without buying a new ones?? Maybe it's the motherboard itself? I have no idea what to do. Someone help plzzz.

My Specs:
Abit AN8 SLI 939 socket
AMD Althon 64 3500+
NVidia GeForce 6800GS
Kingston HyperX DDR400 2G
300GB Serial ATA hard drive

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Somethings broken, but I don't know what.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:30:43 PM »
Does this occur with all games? What games have you experienced this problem with?

Do you notice the same (or similar) thing when watching video? Listening to audio? Using Windows in general?

It sounds like the video card might be having trouble, either overheating or dying. How old is the card? When did the problem start? Was anything changed prior to this happening or has it always done this?

Also, are you using XP or Vista?

tuvi3t4u

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »
I'm using Windows XP right now, and I have the problem with all games. Even older ones that my system should be able to handle. Warcraft III, Sims 2, Age of Empires III, Counter Strike Source. I can listen to music perfectly fine.

My computer is about 2 years old now.

tuvi3t4u

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:26:29 AM »
So I just poped in a DVD and watched the entire thing without any problems; it was smooth the from start to finish.

I tested more gaming applications. I started up WoW and the unstably thing happens again. Couple minutes of smooth gameplay then it lags like crazy for couple minutes, then it plays smooth again for couple minutes, then lags again. I tabbed out of WoW during the lag and went to windows tasks manager, the thing that stood out was that during the lag my computer's CPU usage spikes all the way up to 100% and stays there. During the smooth play the CPU usage peaks at 30% never goes higher than that, it stays in the high 10%.

So, I'm still not sure if its the CPU or the GPU. Both are about 2 and a half years old.
Anyone have any opinions on this? I need help before I go and buy the wrong thing.

Also how about my power supply, maybe my set up needs more power. I have a 450W.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »
I doubt you're over on power. From what you've told me about your system, it sounds like you'd be pulling 350, maybe 400, depending on what extras you have. Doesn't mean the power supply isn't the problem, but to answer your question about needing more power, I really don't think so.

Is the fan still working on the video card?

By chance do you have another video card (or can you acquire one from someone else) that you could test out on your system?

Also my previous questions that didn't get answered:
When did the problem start? Was anything changed prior to this happening or has it always done this (either software or hardware)?

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 09:35:11 AM »
    im leaning on the video card. this same thing would happen to me... well long story short i got a new video card and the problem ended for me. but that doesnt leave the cpu out. i have the exact same one 3500+ 2.2 clawhammer and also around 2 years old. not a problem with it at all.

tuvi3t4u

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 02:12:34 PM »
    I'm not sure when the problem started. Nothing has changed really, just one day i noticed it. I'm really a binge gamer, I'll play A LOT when i have time and not play at all if im busy. Sometimes I don't turn my computer on for weeks or months at a time.

Alright I'll go out and buy one of them GeForce 8s and test to see if its my video card.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 09:35:29 PM »
    No sense in spending that much money if that isn't the problem. Do you know anyone else that might have a spare?

tuvi3t4u

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 11:49:15 PM »
    Ok so I went and got a 8600GT (couldn't afford the 8800). I started up Age of Empires III and OMG!!! NO LAG (I played for a good hour or so)!!! Yes, good job fellas. It was the GPU all along because when I removed my old one I noticed some brown-orange spots on it. Maybe they are burn marks???

Anyway, I went to tab out and checked the task manager and the CPU usage is still at 100% and it stays there. The gameplay was not effected but I would like to know what this means? Do I have to get a new CPU now?? This only happens during gameplay once again, leaving at idle CPU usage reads 0% and never budges.