Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: keyboard problems  (Read 5460 times)

epthomp

keyboard problems
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »
i am having some problems with my laptop keyboard> its like my keys are in some other form or something> my shift keys wont work> my period wont work> my caps wont work> and my mouse is acting weird too> does anyone know what is wrong with my comuter> thank you>

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: keyboard problems
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:46:17 PM »
you need to post more information.  When did this start happening? Have you tried a different keyboard on the same computer, have you tried this keyboard on another computer... etc...

epthomp

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:45:44 AM »
its been doing this a while> the keyboard in built in to my laptop> it started doing this when every once in a while a message would pop up on the screen out of no where and ask if i wanted to turn on sticky keys> the message started popping up more frequently> another message would occasionally pop up  asking if i wanted to turn on filter keys> sometimes so many of those message would pop up i could work on my computer becuase as soon as i closed on another would pop up> now they dont pop up at all and my keys are like this when i turn my computer on everyday_all the time now> i dont know if this has anything to do with it or not> when i check my accessibility options in my control panel sticky keys_toggle keys_and filter keys were not turned on> now when i push my shift key and type nothing will type> like if i was going to type a capital a i would hold down the shift and type a> well when i hold down shift nothing will type> but_sometimes the letter will type but it is unchanged> also_when my caps lock in on the letter are typed in lower case and when i turn the caps lock off all the letters are capital> also_ i am not able to type any numbers at all< and the keys that represent two characters will only type the secondary character> for example_ normally when you push the number five key at the top of the keyboard the number five is typed and when you hold down shift and press the five key a percentage sign will be typed> when i push the five key the percentange sign is typed and when i hold down the shift key and press the five button the percentage sign is typed again> it is like that with every key that represents two characters> thats why i cant type a period> when i press my period key this greater than sign is typed>  i hope you can understand what i am trying to explain> do you have any idea what is wrong?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 05:18:02 AM »
The sensor on one of your shift keys is stuck.

Was anything spilled on the keyboard recently? (even a small amount, if under the keys, can make the sensor stick)

Try giving both your shift keys a few good, firm taps (harder than you would normally press them, but not hard enough to break the things :P). You might be able to unstick the sensor.

epthomp

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 05:26:17 AM »
thanks for the help but the keyboard is still not working right after i banged on my shift keys> any other ideas? is there another way to unstick the sensor or whatever it is that stuck?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:31:39 AM »
Well, the keyboard could just be faulty. Laptop keyboard keys don't normally come off, and in most situations, the keyboard cannot  be disassembled to get at the sensors.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:49:10 AM »
    Banging on it will not fix the problem.  It will only make it worse you mite have ruined the sensor a bit.  I recomened that you take it to a pc show they have the knowldge and tools to fix it.  Have you scanned your laptop recently?  Did these pop-ups come up while web shearching? 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

epthomp

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 08:02:36 AM »
    i am not sure that i know what you are talking about when you say scanning> what should i do to scan my computer?

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 08:34:39 AM »
    I can't believe I missed that this was a laptop keyboard.  I would just check with your manufacturer to see if you can purchase a new keyboard through them.  Like quaxo said, on laptops, most of the time the individual keys don't come off. 

My suggestion:  Either take it to a professional to get it cleaned/looked at, or contact the manufacturer and order a replacement keyboard and install it/have it installed.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:35:59 AM »
    He's not talking about adware or spyware pop-ups. He's talking about the filter key pop-ups that come up when you hold shift for 8 seconds (or press it 5 times).

epthomp, I hope you didn't hit the keys too hard. Just meant for you to give them a good firm tapping. If the keys are permanently stuck, about the only thing you can do is replace the keyboard... if you can find a replacement...