Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Thunderbird mail won't deliver  (Read 4773 times)

blueisapitbull

Topic Starter

Rookie

• On a clear day, I must be wearing my glasses.
    Thunderbird mail won't deliver
    « on: January 22, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »
    Hello:

Thank you for helping me with this.

I hope it's just a coincidence that after my grandchild had finished with my pc, my Thunderbird mail appearance had changed, without any notification or new instructions.

The mail window now has  a list of Titles:   Old mail,    Last month's,    Last week's,   Yesterday's and Today's mail.

I left clicked Today's and it only highlighted in blue.  I right clicked that and Options came up, like:
    Open in new window,   Copy to,   Forward.....................etc.

Nothing would show my new mail, (Or Yesterday's..etc.), so I couldn't open any mail, at all.

I did go to my @cogeco.ca webmail and it wouldn't open any, either.

I have tried what I thought might work and can't find anything that's relative to this problem, anywhere else, so that's why I'm asking for help.

I'm sure glad you're here.

Many thanks,

Ann

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Thunderbird mail won't deliver
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »
    Try restarting computer.

blueisapitbull

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:58:34 PM »
      Thank you.

I did reboot, I wish it helped.

The other thing that went awry was, the icon for Windows LiveMail  had been deleted my desktop.  I went into Start, then WLMail but it said that wasn't working, either.

Now, I have to Google, WLMail, then enter my email address and password, every time. It's no fun to suddenly have MSN as my homepage, while I'm not an MSN user.

Apparently, my grandchild doesn't learn computers, in middle school, for another 2 years.  I'd seen her playing games and msn-ing on her mom's pc and I wrongly assumed that she knew what she was doing.

It's been exhaustive, trying to figure out how to fix something tat I don't know what happened to, in the first place.

Thanks, again.  I appreciate your time and suggestions.  And you were so quick!

Ann

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:33:14 PM »
      Did your grandchild install any software recently?
      You can check this by clicking Start> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore. Pick a date from before the incident occurred, is there anything listed in there? You can try running System Restore as well to see if it solves the issue.

It sounds like a piece of software was installed on your computer, specifically a messenger program, which would explain why your homepage was set back. System Restore would undo this.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
      You can always post HijackThis log, and we'll look for any changes.

blueisapitbull

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »
        Hi:

I tried to download HiJackThis but I don't have the space.

I tried System Restore and it said it's been turned off because I only have 165 MB OR 2% space left.

Thunderbird email is sending mail to my Inbox, in random order, so I must scan from it's original set-up, to date, to find any new mail.  That's not as serious as not having enough space to even try System Restore!

I have an Intel Pentium III, 601mHz  192MB of RAM  Windows XP Pro installed without any Office, Word, Excel, etc. and I was told, when I bought it, it doesn't have a lot of memory.  I didn't think I'd need a lot, really.

I use this for emails to family and my volunteer job as Information Officer for the Legion.  That's it.

Oh, boy, this doesn't sound good.

I did try to highlight the Registry to send it to you, but that didn't work and I don't know what else to try, now.

Thanks so much for helping me.  I can follow basic instructions, one step at a time, but I don't know the techy words.

I'll do my best.

Thanks, again.

Ann

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 07:48:04 PM »
        I only have 165 MB OR 2% space left.
        This is your main issue, which has to be resolved. Windows needs at least 10% of free hard drive space to operate correctly.
        You need to move some data to CDs/DVDs, uninstall some programs, get bigger hard drive....etc.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:18:36 AM »
        Under Tools/Account Settings what are your POP3 and SMTP settings ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

blueisapitbull

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 08:37:39 AM »
          Broni and Patio:

Thanks.

POP is 110 and SMTP is completely blank.  It says, in light grey, (default), but nothing is showing.

I have tried to delete programs I don't need, but I would have to submit and ask, what is necessary.

I have SP2 and Comodo firewall w/a-squared free anti-malware software.

Is there a way that I can submit the list of programs that are installed and then proceed with deletion?

I wanted to do this since the first time the warning about deleting some C programs to create more space, came up.  But, as they are listed by "Initials" I  don't know what they mean.  Googling, has told me that .dll means those ones are critical to Windows operation.  I do try to get help from Searching the meanings, before I ask for help, but that doesn't tell me what is necessary and what can safely be deleted.  Now, I feel I really need this direction, so I can have my pc back.

Again, thanks for anything you can help me with.   I really do appreciate you.

Ann

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 09:47:55 AM »
          You need to contact your ISP for the proper SMTP settings and enter them otherwise you will not be able to send mail without using a web-based account...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

blueisapitbull

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
            Thanks.  I'll do that right now.
            Ann

blueisapitbull

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 10:53:56 AM »
              My IP set up the correct readings for SMTP and I asked him if he knew of a website that would tell me what Windows XP needs to operate properly and he said he did not, adding that they are not IT techs.

Am I asking the right question?  Will this give me back my pc, if there is a way to delete all but the important programs?

I appreciate your help.

Ann

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 06:12:13 PM »
              Before we start painfull investigation about content of your hard drive....is getting bigger hard drive out of question?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
                • Yes
                • Technology News and Information
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:47:11 PM »
              A new 250GB HDD can be purchased for around $65 now (SATA Drive)
              (As compared to about $1 per gigabyte it was about 3 years ago...)

In order for us to figure out what might be best for your needs:
              Click the My Computer icon under the Start menu
              Click your main drive (Usually titled "OS" or "C") once, and the right click, and click "Properties"
              Then, tell us what the current capacity is, and how much free space you have.

Also, while you are there, go to "Tools" and go to "Disk Cleanup"
              Run the wizard. Be sure to check all boxes available for removal. This will not damage your computer, it will continue to function as normal. This removes unneeded files.

blueisapitbull

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 11:39:54 AM »
                Thank you Zystra:

I have:                Used:          6,159,413,248 bytes   5.73GB   

Free:              281,432,064 bytes   268MB

Capacity:    6,440,845,312 bytes    599GB

I didn't have the Wizard option, but  did Cleanup and it won't Defrag because I have 4% space left and it requires 15%.

Thanks so much for taking me step-by-step, I can't go wrong that way.

That's the best help I could ever get.  It familiarizes me with where and what can be done to get the most of my pc.  and I appreciate you.

Ann