Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive wrong size installation  (Read 2827 times)

cloud9

Hard drive wrong size installation
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:53:53 AM »
Hi, i use a home made pc and running win xp pro with sp2. I recently upgraded my hard drive with a 200gb one as the previous one i had was to small. After installation the bios see the drive as 200gb but windows sees it as only 127gb. The drive has only one partition and was formatted using the ntfs. Is there any way i could get windows to see the drive at its correct size so i could utilize the unused space?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Hard drive wrong size installation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 07:50:15 AM »
Visit the hard drive manufacturer's website.  Most, if not all, of them have info on their sites about hard drive size limitation issues and how to overcome that.

jla_doc

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:08:46 AM »
    Hello, try to right click on My Computer click manage, then to disk manager, you should see your drive and part of it named "unallocated"  You will now be able to have 2 separate drives that equal the amount of your HDD.  You can combine the two with a partition manager as well, but what I just said is the easiest thing to do.  Hope this helps!

Jim

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:32:29 AM »
    Are you certain you have SP2 installed ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "