Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cursor losing focus while editing text  (Read 4486 times)

ionic

Topic Starter

Rookie

Cursor losing focus while editing text
    « on: January 23, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »
    First I thought it was my mouse, then I thought it might be OpenOfficeWriter, but then it happened in notepad and while typing text into this forum as well.  It is pretty darn annoying for sure.

While typing the cursor changes focus from where I am typing to some other place in the previously typed document.

Does an(there it goes again, this time completely gone from the text field altogether) does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Anyone know of a virus that has done this?

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Cursor losing focus while editing text
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »
    My first thought would be to check and see what other programs you have running.

Does it usually just put the cursor back at the beginning of the textbox you have open, or does it jump all over the place?

Also, a virus scan wouldn't hurt.  Make sure your virus scanner is up to date before scanning as well.

ionic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
      It jumps all over, usually within the text field. I've got Windows XP Pro SP2, McAfee Suite, Adaware... all providing a clean bill of health.

:o whoops! A Light jut went on in my head!

There is a distinct possibility that when I am typing I inadvertently tap the laptops cursor pad, thus refocusing the cursor where ever I had left the cursor, usually in the text field.  I will look into adjusting the touchpad's sensitivity, or maybe disabling it as I have a cordless optical/mouse. I generally only use the touchpad when the terrain is too difficult for the optical mouse.  Thus far this entire parragraph had had no errors.  I've been carefull not to touch the touchpad at all.

Hey I think you've solved my problem.  Your a genius!!

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 01:56:29 PM »
      Haha.  Not sure if I solved your problem.

I would like to mention, though, that if you prefer you can also turn off the tap feature of your trackpad, using the click "button" instead. 

ionic

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »
        I actually could not alter anything regarding the touchpad as I had not installed the software for it with my last reload of windows. It was working fine so I said, what the heck, leave it be.

Thus I did install the software and did notice I could disable the tap function. It also has a setting for "if there is a usb mouse connected then disable the touchpad. This is what I sellected but I think I need to restart before it begins to work. Other than that I am good to go.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:30:05 AM »
        I actually could not alter anything regarding the touchpad as I had not installed the software for it with my last reload of windows. It was working fine so I said, what the heck, leave it be.

Thus I did install the software and did notice I could disable the tap function. It also has a setting for "if there is a usb mouse connected then disable the touchpad. This is what I sellected but I think I need to restart before it begins to work. Other than that I am good to go.

Yeah, it's nice when they have the setting to automatically disable when a usb mouse is present.  Can't tell you how many people I know who've had an issue like yours and didn't realize what was causing it.