Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP! wiping hard drive clean/reinstalling software  (Read 3011 times)

OnyxCollector

HELP! wiping hard drive clean/reinstalling software
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:58:56 AM »
I have a HP computer with Windows XP.  There is some internal problem that can't be found. I want to remove everything from the hard drive and reinstall software and programs. I am a novice. Any suggestions as to where I can find some step by step instructions on wiping the hard drive clean and reinstalling new software?  HELP!   David

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: HELP! wiping hard drive clean/reinstalling software
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:18:07 AM »
    Do you have a system restore disc from HP or a Windows XP install disc?
    You will need either of those in order to reinstall XP.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:24:09 AM »
      You need to know the brand of the Harddrive to get a format/partiton software.  XP has this in it as well but you need to know what your doing.  Also, you'll need all the installer discs to the programs you have on there if you wish to have them installed.  As for step by step....  I'm not sure right off.  Try google.  If you need any help come back
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

litespeed14

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 02:29:24 PM »
        Here is your step  to step:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941/en-us

also a general troubleshooter:

http://www.aumha.org/win5/support.htm

LeperMessiah

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 02:00:22 PM »
        contact HP and ask them to send you system restore discs. i got mine for free. the restore discs will restore your computer back to the way it was brand new.

or you could use an original Windows Disc and re-install windows that way. i suggest this method, because HP fills there pre built systems with bundled software and adware, and using the restore cd's will retore all of these programs as well.