Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Solid State / Physical Drive Mirror  (Read 2163 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Solid State / Physical Drive Mirror
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:46:30 PM »
Hello,

Before I go and buy a solid state drive, I figured I'd check with everyone else here. I am building up a system that is to have very fast read/write data access and what I want to do is run a Solid State HD paired up with an actual new Physical Standard Hard Drive with spinning platters.

My reason for running these side by side in a mirror is that I dont like the lack of fault tolerance of a solid state drive being that if the drive is shot all data is GONE. At least on a physical drive there are a number of ways to get your databack as long as the platters spin.

So can I still get the fast read/write speed in a Mirror RAID setup with a Hybrid style Solid State Drive Paired up with a normal physical HD or will the new but slower I/O spinning drive degrade the performance from the Solid State drives I/O potential????

If the physical spinning drive brings the performance of the I/O down to its speed for the channel, then its pointless to mirror a Solid State Drive and Physical Spinning drive.

Thanks for your input on this... Havent found anything in google searches yet.