Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NVidia Geforce 8500GT...  (Read 3000 times)

elxr06

NVidia Geforce 8500GT...
« on: January 26, 2008, 04:32:10 PM »
NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT with DDR2 memory VS NVIDIA Geforce 8500GT with DDR3 memory?

Which is the better card for the price ? DDR3 is the better memory type but is it actually worth the few more bucks to get it?

I did get a BFG 85020GT for $40.00 after rebate from newegg.....

homer

Expert
    Re: NVidia Geforce 8500GT...
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 05:34:05 PM »
    can you provide a link to the 8500 GT with DDR3? i cannot seem to find it.

i recommend purchasing nvidia cards from EVGA. they are significantly cheaper then BFG or ASUS.

elxr06

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:09:40 PM »
    can you provide a link to the 8500 GT with DDR3? i cannot seem to find it.

i recommend purchasing nvidia cards from EVGA. they are significantly cheaper then BFG or ASUS.

Did you mean with eVGA's step up program, free games (either in box with card itself or after registering on eVGA's website) .... that would make it significantly cheaper?

One question: eVGA's step up program seems to me like you are just trading in your old card for a better card, which to me is the same as paying for the better card in full the first time around.

Which them to me, feels like if I don't like my card because I want now a better card, I can within 90 days, get a refund on my current card and buy a better eVGA card.....

homer

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:44:22 AM »
      EVGA has got, according to many people, the best customer service and warranty out of all the nvidia cards suppliers, however, i have personally not looked into this.

Did you mean with eVGA's step up program, free games (either in box with card itself or after registering on eVGA's website) .... that would make it significantly cheaper?

by my saying of "EVGA cards are cheaper," i literally meant just that.

8800 GTX 786mb GDDR3 575mHz core 1.8gHz memory from ASUS - $614.99
      8800 GTX 786mb GDDR3 575mHz core 1.8gHz memory from EVGA - $529.99

prices attained from www.ncix.com

from here you can clearly see there is an $85 difference between the two vendors for the EXACT same product. in addition to EVGA's lower price, for a limited time NCIX offers $30 off plus EVGA offers a $50 mail-in rebate and the Crysis game for free. this increases the price gap between the two vendors to a whopping $165 difference.

One question: eVGA's step up program seems to me like you are just trading in your old card for a better card, which to me is the same as paying for the better card in full the first time around.

that is exactly what it is. but if, for whatever reason, you cannot buy the better card at that moment, the step-up program puts the full value of the card you just bought and puts it into the price of the better card. to put it simply, if you bought a lower-end card and wish to purchase a better card, you will have to sell your old card, because your old card has been officially "used," you will not be able to sell it at the same price at which you purchased it. the step-up program insures that you will not lose any money when you upgrade your card by giving you the full purchase price of your card.

elxr06

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:05:15 PM »
      i see. so that effectively just means that you can get a full refund on the old card and simply purchase a new card in the eVGA deal and you're not short of money just because you can't return for full price since it's now "open box" used product.

best warranty for eVGA? I see that eVGA and BFG both have lifetime warranty. If card is not working, they will repair card OR if not fixable, replace card given that you have NOT damaged the card's physical appeance or modified it. (except well, changing fans  on the card might be ok)

And XFX gives double lifetime warranty, which is exactly the same as eVGA and BFG's except that the warranty continues on if let's say, you give your card to a friend.

Anyways ...

homer

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 12:04:27 AM »
        bfg's warranty is void if you overclock, it is also void if you modify the card in anyway, such as adding an aftermarket cooler.

EVGA's warranty is void if you damage your card during overclocking, it is not automatically voided the second you overclock. also, your warranty is only voided if you damage the card during installing an aftermarket cooler, it is not automatically voided the second you take a screw out.