Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer froze during CDROM firmware update  (Read 3675 times)

stagmo

Computer froze during CDROM firmware update
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »
I have a BTC 5216IB DVD combo drive on my computer. I was running a firmware update on the drive while copying something from my other DVD drive onto my HDD and my computer froze.

It froze in the middle of the firmware update and now will not detect the drive during startup, but instead stays frozen at "detecting IDE hardware" for a while. After a couple minutes it goes past this state (not detected the now defective drive) and goes to a screen that says "detecting raid array" or something (I do not have a RAID array or anything set up). I let it sit there for like 15 min and gave up on it.

I then tried restarting my computer with the defective drive unplugged. This lets windows start up right away as normal but of course then my drive isn't plugged in.

Is there a way for me to salvage my drive or is it totally screwed? Could plugging the IDE cable in once Windows is loaded make it somehow possible to run the firmware update again?

Thanks

stagmo

Re: Computer froze during CDROM firmware update
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »
P.S. I have windows XP

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Computer froze during CDROM firmware update
    « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:35:03 PM »
    I wouldn't recommend plugging or unplugging the IDE cable when the computer is on. That is a seriously bad idea. You shouldn't touch anything inside the case with the computer on. Besides, I highly doubt it would do any good even if it wasn't bad idea.
    IDE devices are detected and configured at boot time by the BIOS, Windows doesn't do that.

I'm afraid your drive is toast. The manufacturer can probably revive it so that's a possibility. But it will most likely cost you, messing up as firmware update isn't covered by the warranty.
    I'm sorry you had to learn this the hard way, but a firmware update is not to be taken lightly and shouldn't be attempted at all without good reason.
    And when you do a update firmware be sure the computer isn't doing anything else, especially something that requires communication on the IDE cable. Many manufacturers also recommend you disconnect anything that is connected to the same IDE cable as the device you're updating.

I wish I could give you better news but this is the reality. Hopefully you'll be more careful in the future.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)