Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Partitioning Hard Drive  (Read 1967 times)

th674

Partitioning Hard Drive
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »
i just got my new toshiba laptop with a 250 gig hard drive. the drive only shows 231gb though. anyway, i want to partition my hard drive so that i can install XP pro or possibly Linux. i figure 30gigs sounded good. i installed the recovery disk because it has a partition program on it and after i partioned it and restored the OS, it showed my c drive at 200gb but the partition for the other 31 gigs wasnt there. so, i just performed a complete factory restore and i am up for any ideas on how i can get this done without having to recover the dang thing again and have to reinstall everything. Also, any ideas on my last post concerning Memory question is greatly appreciated. i want to know what is best, 2 gigs of ddr2 pc5300 or 3 gigs of ddr4200. i want to get the most out of this expensive thing. it is a satellite A215-S7472. i didnt know if more ram was better than having faster ram. thanks for everything and all you guys input.

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Partitioning Hard Drive
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »
    So you have XP on the laptop now?
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »
                             Actual HDD sizes:

Chart Courtesy of Western Digital.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

th674

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »
    no, i have vista premium. thanks for the hard drive info also. anybody have any input on the memory issue i posted about. i think i will be better off with the 2 gigs of ddr2 pc5300. it says hypermemory on the chips. the others were a 1 gig chip and the other was a 2 gig chip. they werent the same brand. i researched and seen its better to install memory in identical pairs. i am still up for ideas. thanks for everything everybody.