Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there a text editor out there that can be restricted to 78 characters?  (Read 2742 times)

KenL

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Hello all.

I am looking for a text editor that I can throw my users into that I can tell it to wrap all lines to 78 characters during entry.

It's doesn't have to be fancy, Notepad is working right now, but when the users exit the document I truncate the lines to 78 characters to store them in the application.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken
    Windows XP PRO/Server 2003. Date Format DD/MM/YYYY

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Not that I'm aware of, but if you are familiar with vb you could always make a text program that limits the user to 78 characters and allows them to save to a txt file.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    It's doesn't have to be fancy, Notepad is working right now, but when the users exit the document I truncate the lines to 78 characters to store them in the application.
    Can you share a bit more info on what you're doing.  The truncating is a problem, right?  What application are you referring to?  Is this text file data imported into this application? 

Do you have Microsoft Office installed on all computers involved here? 

KenL

Topic Starter

Beginner
      It would not be guaranteed to have Office installed on all computers nor would I want to insist on that.

Truncating the input from a user is a problem, the data is loaded back into an application (character based custom application).

I might be able to use Bill Guthries Stripper program to automatically wrap the text at the 78th character, but the results will be confusing to the user so I was looking for a text tool to automatically wrap the users input while they were editing.

And no I am not familiar with VB, although there is a VB programmer on staff who I might be able to ask (Thanks for the tip).

Ken
      Windows XP PRO/Server 2003. Date Format DD/MM/YYYY

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      And no I am not familiar with VB, although there is a VB programmer on staff who I might be able to ask (Thanks for the tip).

No problem.  Wish I could've been of more help, but it was the only thing that came to mind immediately.