Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No display on monitor  (Read 5444 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    No display on monitor
    « on: February 03, 2008, 08:14:34 PM »
    Hello yet again, i just solved a topic and already i have a new one...

Ok, so i convinced a friend to let me clean out his computer because there was so much dust in there i couldn't even believe it ran. Unfortunatly, when i was putting it back together i couldn't figure one piece out which turned out to be a really dumb mistake. In the process of figureing it out, though, i got very annoyed and a little rough with it. It's possible i've broken something. It would be good to know what though.

So the actual problem is that when i turn on the computer nothing happens. The monitor shows nothing. It knows it's connected to something, i don't get the no signal message, but it stays on standby.

I've tried a few basic things. I tried a different hard drive in the computer, still got nothing. I tried the video card in a different computer, worked fine. I tried the hard drive in a different computer, and it didn't exactly work, but at least i got a picture on the screen, so it's not the current problem if one at all.

I do know of one problem for sure. The panel on the front is connected to the motherboard for lights and the power switch and such, and i know i put the cables back in the wrong way, but i didn't figure that would affect the computer like this.

Oh yes, the computer is still getting power, fans and various lights come on, so don't think that i just put the front panel power cable in the wrong place and that's the problem.
    Also, one further note that might help, the cd drive won't open when i turn it on for some reason, it has a green light that says it's busy the entire time.

I don't think you need computer specs for this problem, any ideas here?

LtRyan5184

Beginner
    • EMS Supervisor
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: No display on monitor
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:23:09 PM »
    Check to make sure the RAM is secured in place along with the vidoe card, and processor  ;)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:43:08 PM »
      the RAM is at least clipped in place, the video card i've checked a few times it being the most obvious source, and the processor is under a heat sink that i just plain didn't touch, in fact the processor is the one thing i'm not even quite sure how to check

EDIT: Extra update, on the motherboard there's a green light that isn't coming on. i don't know if it normally does, or what it's for, so that might be completely useless, but thought i should mention it.
      « Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 09:46:43 AM by Anythingwill »

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »
        Ok, so i've been playing around with it more and i've come across something else. I said that the CD drive wouldn't open, but that's only when it is connected to the motherboard via IDE cable. I took out the IDE cable and left the power cable in and it let me open the cd drive.
        I suppose this does make some logical sense, but perhaps that helps?
        When i saw this i also noticed that there's a little blue box with 8 switches right above the IDE ports. I don't know what it's for, but perhaps i flipped a few switches on it that i shouldn't have. Do you guys know what it is?
        EDIT:Something about CPU Bus and external frequencies, maybe not the problem

Also, I can't turn on caps lock or any of those. Normally the computer won't let you turn them on or off until it's in windows, and since i can't turn them on period it means its not just that it won't display what's happening on the monitor, but that it just plain isn't loading properly.
        « Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:20:45 AM by Anythingwill »

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »
          Okay you lost me.  But try checking all the connectors an make sure there secured to the board or device.  Make sure that anything that your unaware of is looked up in the motherboard manual.  Thats what its for.  What did you remove???  Sounds like the IDE cable to the cd drive mite be bad.  Just need more info on what you did
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:33:07 AM »
            All the cables are secure, i checked over the basics a few times.

In order to identify the problem i removed/replaced a few parts. I switched the hdd with no success, i've tried the video card in another computer where it worked fine, and i've disconnected all drives except the hdd to see if it helped.

If you're talking about for the CD drive i just took out the IDE cable so that no information was transmitted to or from the drive. Basically this only informed me that there wasn't a problem with the CD drive door. Perhaps you guys know something specific that causes a CD drive to remain busy though.

It could jsut be a bad cable, but then that would mean that between taking it apart and putting it together both the CD and HDD IDE cable went bad.
            I'll try the cables in another computer once i can.

LtRyan5184

Beginner
            • EMS Supervisor
              • Yes
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »
            it's for, but perhaps i flipped a few switches on it that i shouldn't have. Do you guys know what it is?

Those are the jumper settings, they could be a problem if you messed with them.

also make sure that the IDE CD connector is connected to the secondary IDE slot  ;)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 03:21:48 PM »
              I certainly didn't mess with them intentionally, but in my frustration i didn't always pay attention to what part of the motherbaord i was grasping. Is there any way to tell if they're in the right place?

Yes, it's definately in the secondary slot.

I haven't gotten to trying the cables yet, i'll post results sometime tonight though.

Newman9030

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »
              I think , I am having the same problem as you. So hurry up and find your problem so I can find mine. Most of the symtoms are the same. Computer starts up but never boots, monitor is blank,no signal. I did learn something on your post. By disconnecting the IDE cables I regained power to the CD drives and they open and close and the power light comes on as you said. I am wondering is this a software problem? (my disc was formated and erased everything). If I learn something you I will let you know and keep reading you thread.

Newman9030

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »
              I found my problem today, When the fan was removed from the CPU it dislodged the computer chip. HP and Compact use a grease to conduct the heat to the fan base and it will glue the chip to the cooling fan. I thought the chip was goning back in ok, but it has to be removed from the cooling fan and the socket must be moved back to allow the pins to enter in holes and then locked back down and then add the fan back.

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 08:47:36 PM »
                omg...thats called thermal paste, did you add any back on after you pulled the heatsink off?