Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gmail within Outlook Express - deleted messages not purging  (Read 2768 times)

musicollector

Gmail within Outlook Express - deleted messages not purging
« on: February 10, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »
I have set up my Gmail within Outlook Express. All is well. However, though I have chosen the option to purge all deleted mail in IMAP folders on exit within Options | Maintenance, it is just not happening. I am in the All Mail view.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Gmail within Outlook Express - deleted messages not purging
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »
I just recently set up a Gmail IMAP account in Outlook Express (OE), so I haven't used OE for this account much yet.  Like you, I have OE set to "Purge deleted messages when leaving IMAP folders".  What I've observed is that the "deleted" messages appear with a line through them immediately after "deleting" them.  They remain that way until I close AND reopen OE.  Yep, I see them still there immediately after re-opening OE but they then disappear with a few seconds. 

Could this be what is actually happening in your system?

musicollector

Re: Gmail within Outlook Express - deleted messages not purging
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:11:58 PM »
Yes, they sit there with a line through them, but only in All Mail view (it works normally and clears messages immediately from the other folders). Now I see that they are gone, except that I had to close the application and go back in. I should have done that first! That works for me. Thanks.

I just recently set up a Gmail IMAP account in Outlook Express (OE), so I haven't used OE for this account much yet.  Like you, I have OE set to "Purge deleted messages when leaving IMAP folders".  What I've observed is that the "deleted" messages appear with a line through them immediately after "deleting" them.  They remain that way until I close AND reopen OE.  Yep, I see them still there immediately after re-opening OE but they then disappear with a few seconds. 

Could this be what is actually happening in your system?