Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card installation?  (Read 3900 times)

MoPo

Video Card installation?
« on: January 14, 2005, 06:18:56 PM »
I am trying to install a GeForce FX5500 and am having problems. I turned computer off, installed card, then booted up. It found my card and installed it and said I must restart. So I did, but when booting up, it gets to the Windows loading screen and then goes black right before where you enter your password. It will not go past that at all. The only way I can use my computer is if I take the video card out and just use the onboard video card. I can not figure anything else out. PLEASE HELP!!! Any help is appreciated.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Video Card installation?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 09:28:56 PM »
As strange as it sounds..... YOU ARE IN LUCK! I recently had the SAME video card, with the same problem.... How old is your computer? What kind is it? Chances are, it is NOT compatible with your system...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

MoPo

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 10:16:51 AM »
Well, I have a Dell Dimension 2400. Here are my specs: Celeron 2.4GH, 40GB HD, 128MB RAM, Windows XP, Intel 845GV chip set.
Thanks again for any input.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 01:50:33 PM »
Did you read the minimum system requirements? You MIGHT need more than 128 MB to use the card.... Although, you really SHOULD have more than 128 MB to run Windows XP to start with..... Also, can your computer handle an 8X video card? Mine couldn't, which is why I had my problem...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Morey P.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:06:36 PM »
Yah I'm getting another 256MB RAM, so I should have 384MB. Also, this is a PCI card, I don't have AGP. What do ya think.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 02:13:52 PM »
Cash can be saved...what wrong with using intels graphic accelerator??>http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/index.htm?iid=ipp_845gvchpst+hghlt_iaa&
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 02:16:06 PM by merlin_2 »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 03:22:49 PM »
Well... Is this an AGP card?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 04:07:28 PM »
    MoPo.....Did you disable the onboard vid card ? ....that could be the problem ...and the other thing that come to mind is did you have the monitor connected to your new pci vid card or was it plugged into the old onboard card ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Howitzer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 10:17:16 PM »
    I have a similar problem with FX 5200.  However the card worked fine for a while, but now the same problem is happening to me.  Though, it only happens when I install the drivers for the card.  It works with the default drivers, but not with its own.