Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ican't even run the original XP install CD to GET to recovery console!!! HELP!!  (Read 1952 times)

mountainman

My XP machine was installing downloaded upgrades before shutdown and the power failed.  Now when it starts it only goes as far as the Microsoft screen with the moving bar at the bottom, then reboots all over again, and again, and again...

I popped in the original XP CD to try to recover and it only goes as far as the "Press R to recover" screen, then it reboots too!  I have never seen anything like it!  I admit I'm not Bill Gates, but I'm not computer dumb. This has me baffled!  Any help would be great.

Dias de verano

Taking a couple of guesses here, Mountainman, if you live in a remote rural area, could be when the power went, maybe there was a surge in the AC that maybe damaged hardware components on the motherboard, or the RAM? Not wanting to be gloomy but fried RAM can cause this type of thing. If you have 2 or more sticks try running with each one on its own (Remove and replace with the power OFF!!! -- AC plug removed from wall!!!) which might isolate any faulty module(s)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Unplug the power.
Toggle the on/off switch on the rear of the PSU a few times.
Plug it back in and see if it works now.
You may also want to replace the surge protector power strip.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mountainman

::)Thanks for the info guys.  It had something to do with the old UPS with dead batts. I'm sure.  I bought a new on AND a new hard drive so I can start from scratch.  I changed the jumper to slave and got the old one mounted on my Linux box, and it likes it, so at least I can get my stuff off of it. It won't let a WIN2000 server box boot as a third drive though!  I'll let you know if I get it fixed -- or shoot it, whichever comes first.

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
It won't let a WIN2000 server box boot as a third drive though!

I'm not sure i understand this part...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "