Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving Programs from C drive to E drive  (Read 2839 times)

dynodan08

Moving Programs from C drive to E drive
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:21:22 PM »
Sorry if this been asked before but I an new and am not sure what to search for.

I would like to move programs(like Microsoft office) from my C drive to the E drive that I created(partitioned) when I installed XP -SP2 several months ago. 

Everything  seems to work fine except that the C drive is getting full and there is lots of room on the E drive.

I don't thnik it is as simple as copying from one drive to the other and then Deleting it from the C drive, is it?  Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Moving Programs from C drive to E drive
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 10:41:18 PM »
I had to perform this very task. Make sure you have a LOT of spare time on your hands, in addition to the installation media for all the stuff you want to move, since you will unfortunately need to uninstall and re-install the software you want to move.

I don't know if this is true, but there might be programs designed to move software intact from one drive to another.

If at all possible you could do a partition to partition copy with a utility program to duplicate the files from C:\ to E:\ and install what is E: into a new C:\ drive.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 08:55:38 AM »
... you will unfortunately need to uninstall and re-install the software you want to move.
True.

Why not just pick a few of the larger programs you have installed and move them to E: via uninstall and reinstall?  And, what about your My Documents folder?  Is it on C:?  How large is it?  Moving it to E: is an easy step.  To do it, right click on My Documents, select Properties, click on the Move button, and specify E:\ as the new location.  This will move My Pictures and My Music, also, since they are sub-folders of My Documents.

dynodan08

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I do not keep much in the My Documents folder but unfortunately I have loaded most programs on the C drive. I guess I will have to bite the bullit and do the Uninstall/Install dance.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
The other option is to buy a larger HDD
You can then use the drive manuf. utility to "clone" your old drive to the newer one.
You can then use the old drive for storage.
If you decide on this option post back for instructions...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dynodan08

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 06:18:03 PM »
That sounds like an interesting option.  Could you tell me more about what would need to be done?

Thanks

canuck

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »
    Sorry if this been asked before but I an new and am not sure what to search for.

I would like to move programs(like Microsoft office) from my C drive to the E drive that I created(partitioned) when I installed XP -SP2 several months ago. 

Everything  seems to work fine except that the C drive is getting full and there is lots of room on the E drive.

I don't thnik it is as simple as copying from one drive to the other and then Deleting it from the C drive, is it?  Any advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

Here is an application that I have used frequently for this very purpose.  It's called "APPMOVER" by funduc.

http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm

H
    H

Dell Optiplex GX620
    Windows XP Pro SP 3
    Intel 2.7 Mhz
    1 Gb Memory

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 09:46:44 AM »
    That sounds like an interesting option.  Could you tell me more about what would need to be done?

Thanks

It's actually pretty simple.
    The new drive gets hooked up jumpered as a slave drive on your machine with the master being your current drive.

II==================================II============II

MBoard                                                       Slave                       Master.

You then boot to the manuf. utility CD that comes with the new drive. Select the "clone" option and let it do it's thing.
    When finished power down the machine.
    You then remove your old drive completely....hook up the new drive jumpered and cabled as master and re-boot.
    Your OS, programs and all your data will be there. Run it for a few days to make sure everything is OK and if so re-introduce the old drive as slave and format it and use it for extra storage.

The entire process should take between 40 minutes to an hour.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "