Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Latitude with an Attitude!  (Read 2286 times)

AvengerM1

Dell Latitude with an Attitude!
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hope you can help . . .

I have a Dell Latitude C610 which was running Windows 2000K. I wanted to reinstall Windows 2000K because of the junk built up on the hard drive from Spyware over the past 3 years.

I formatted the hard drive then did a successful system transfer sys a: c: I was able to type d: and get a virtual drive although it doesn't see the CD-Rom with Windows 2000K. In fact, it doesn't see anything in the CD-ROM drive at all. Keep in mind, after the format I copied the files such as config.sys, autoexcec and MSCDEX.EXE to C:

Now the system simply won't boot from a Win 2K CD at all. The only way to get anywhere is with some half corrupted floppy that indicated OAKWOOD drivers corrupted and corrupted Config.sys and Autoexec.bat. With the corrupted disk I can at least get an A: prompt, from there I can do FDISK, FORMAT and Switch between C: and A: Other than that I'm dead wood-- I figure I screwed up the FDISK, FORMAT and SYS TRANS or the partition some where. Ironically I can boot from an old Windows NT Server disk, but there are problems because of hard disk size, which the system won't allow me to change.  I really just want to get back to Win 2K or even Win 98.   HELP!!!! I'm freaking' out here. . .   :o

Best regards,
AvengerM!  
 :o

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Dell Latitude with an Attitude!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:52:34 PM »
Travel to bootdisk.com and DLoad the WinME bootdisk.
Select the one with CDRom support.
Use the file to create a bootable floppy.
Format that drive by typing format C: /u at the A: prompt.
After formatting type R: and hit Enter...this will log the CD drive.
At the R: prompt type setup and hit Enter and the Win2K setup will start.

Good Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "