Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scanner fails after fresh win2K install  (Read 2477 times)

aeriform

Topic Starter

Scanner fails after fresh win2K install
    « on: February 22, 2008, 10:13:52 PM »
    Since the scanner and all other computer components work, I'm guessing the problem is Windows setup or a problem with a Windows update...

Had a hard drive failure when scanner was working properly, so picked up a new hard drive and have reinstalled everything properly except scanner. I have tried installation disk that came with the scanner as well as 3rd party drivers. I have another computer with binary identical drivers/Documan installed files running WinXP that works with the scanner. Cable and LPT1 port works with printer (hooked up in series and stand alone) and there is power to the scanner.

Scanner is ArtiScan 9600Pro-36 with Tamarack Technologies (Documan) software
    Win2KSP4 with all MS updates installed
    ECP Printer Port has - use any interrupt assigned to the port (although I have tried other selections)
                               - legacy PnP detection enabled
                               - no device conflicts listed

The failure of the scanner is a long delay in obtaining an image. The light detector does not physically move. The image returned is either all white or occasionally gray scale stripes.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Scanner fails after fresh win2K install
    « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:56:58 AM »
    You say you tried the original drivers...why won't they take ? ?
    Any error messages ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aeriform

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 07:13:20 PM »
      I forgot to take a look at the Event Viewer. During the installs there were Information events in the System Log.

No errors were being displayed during software installation. Various events from the source "Windows File Protection" were being created:

File replacement was attempted on the protected system file c:\winnt\twunk_32.exe. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the bad file is 1.6.0.1, the version of the system file is 1.7.0.0.

File replacement was attempted on the protected system file c:\winnt\twain_32.dll. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the bad file is 1.6.0.3, the version of the system file is 1.7.0.0.

File replacement was attempted on the protected system file olepro32.dll. This file was restored to the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the bad file is 4.0.0.5277, the version of the system file is 5.0.4522.0.

The protected system file c:\winnt\twain.dll could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time.

The protected system file c:\winnt\twunk_16.exe could not be verified as valid because Windows File Protection is terminating. Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file at a later time.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 07:37:30 PM »
      Got o Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter...
      Have your XP CD handy...
      Re-boot.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "