Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME Explorer Search function broken  (Read 2700 times)

dogboy

Windows ME Explorer Search function broken
« on: February 23, 2008, 05:57:22 PM »
Gear: ASUS P3V133 motherboard, 1 Ghz. CPU
1 Gb. memory, 80 Gb. HDD, 1/2 capacity available
Other system components have been in place for some time w/out hints of the problem I'll describe.
OS fully updated, system frequently scandisked and defragged  - it generally runs well. Has had Norton Anti-Virus running since first powerup, , essentially never a virus problem. Norton Utilities since powerup, always functioned.
Just a few days ago, I attempted to run Norton WinDoctor and stalled out. Warned of a Registry corruption which WinDoctor couldn't remedy. At about the same time, I found that the Windows Explorer Search utility wouldn't - insert a search parameter and it just sits there. I use Search constantly - could I have worn it out (grin)...
I'm considering a re-installation of WinME - that used to work with earlier versions of OS, also considering upgrading to XP - for various reasons - but will stand by for any and all hints on this subject.
My WinMe disk is the upgrade version, should I be directed to go looking for replacement files. If you need any further info to assist in troubleshooting this mess, please let me know.
dogboy

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows ME Explorer Search function broken
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »
Did you try System Restore?

dogboy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:55:19 PM »
Restore?..I was afraid you'd ask me that...Unfortunately, when the "broken search" symptom cropped up, I was already in the middle of an acrimonious exchange with Symantec (long story), and between trying to ferret out an odd Registry complaint, installing and uninstalling AVG, plus the incumbent cleansing of the system, I'd wiped (I believe) the Restore files which might be of help. At any rate, following your reminder, I attempted a few Restores back to a period which might have the uncorrupted search facility, but no joy: no Restore. Unable. SO:
Since the main use at present for the problem box is maintaining my Quicken files, I'm going to do a backup of Quicken, replace the HDD with a 3-month old clone drive, refresh the Quicken files in that one, and see how it goes. If that drive runs the Windows search tool (yeah, remember where this all started?), then I'll get organized toward a complete refurbishment of the box with a view toward Win XP-ing it, as I believe I mentioned earlier.
The lesson for me to learn, I guess, is to handle one problem at a time, 'cause when they overlap, as happened in this instance, there might not be a fallback. I'm hoping that the Clone option might just save the day.
More comments?

dogboy

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »
I wish you luck, and keep us posted.
More comments? Only one...stay away from Norton as far, as possible.

dogboy

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:28:44 PM »
The Clone option did save the day - albeit as insurance which wasn't really necessary after all. As previously mentioned, I was employing the problem tower mainly as a host for my Quicken program, as I wasn't too confident that this old program (Quicken 2000 + whatever updates Intuit threw in) would make it in Win XP, and I had a Clone of the main HDD dating back to September. So I did a backup of Quicken (up to the minute), updated the clone files, then back to the primary hard drive, and did a Windows ME re-installation.
All went well - at least I was able to recover the Search function, and there doesn't appear to be any significant change or loss of service in the overall setup. Seems like a lot of trouble, I suppose, but when looking at migrating a host (around 30-odd Gb) of files from slowbox to fastbox, I wouldn't attempt it without the Search ready to hand.
I'm still disappointed that there isn't more information to allow pinpointing the .exe or .ini stage of some of these Windows functions, but perhaps down the road someone will look at the archives and know the answer - and POST. I hope to be at the same email address and username, patiently waiting. Regards to all who had anything to add, as, of course that's what makes these forums work.

dogboy. 

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »
Thank you for update.