Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this patch installed> I can't tell.  (Read 3432 times)

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    Is this patch installed> I can't tell.
    « on: February 25, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
    Have a new game called GTR2 for a PC. It works fine so far, but I read where there was a patch to download and install to keep glitches from occuring. I downloaded the patch from the developer's site and the download window just asked me where I want to "save" the file. How am I supposed to know? There are about 35 files for the game. My son told me the patch is supposed to install itself. How? Does it "flash" it's way into the game, by magic? New to gaming as you can see. So far I downloaded the file twice and saved it to Desktop and My Docs.
    wolfrunner

Deerpark

Egghead
      Re: Is this patch installed> I can't tell.
      « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »
      My son told me the patch is supposed to install itself.
      That's incorrect.
      What you usually need to do is download the file to somewhere on your computer. Doesn't matter where as long as you can find the file again. I usually use the desktop.
      Then you double click the downloaded file to run an installer that does the actual patching.
      Of course there are games that does thing differently, but the above is the most common and user friendly approach to manual patching.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:01:41 AM »
        Deerpark, I double-click the file to install and I get a a notice that Winace must be installed on my computer. It's a German installer I think, guess I have to purchase that Winace program to open and install the update. Why doesn't the developer's site have that already? Don't bother answering I already know the answer.
        Thanks, man.
        wolfrunner

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:07:35 AM »
          You shouldn't have to buy a 3rd party program just to install a patch. I've played a lot of computer games and have never encountered one that needed a paid version of WinAce for its patches.
          Where did you get the patch from?
          What language is your game in? I.e. is a English, German, French, etc version?
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thomas Bailey

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »
            Winace comes in German and English. They do offer a free ver. so I installed that and uncompressed the update and installed it successfully. All's well.
            wolfrunner