Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bytes Sent vs. Bytes Received  (Read 19317 times)

conky

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Bytes Sent vs. Bytes Received
    « on: February 25, 2008, 03:34:31 PM »
    Q: I have noticed lately that through DSL internet connection,  my computer is sending out more bytes than it receives. Example being over seven million bytes sent, compared with less than two million received. I do not remember this being the case in the past. Is this normal?

Dias de verano

Re: Bytes Sent vs. Bytes Received
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »
    do a virus check and see if your firewall is working. (You do have a firewall?)

conky

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »
      do a virus check and see if your firewall is working. (You do have a firewall?)

I do regular virus scans using the latest free version of Avast!, which have shown no problems. I also use the latest free version of Zone Alarm as firewall.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:32:30 PM »
      This would depend completely on the browsing habits and or the sites visited...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

conky

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:22:23 AM »
        This would depend completely on the browsing habits and or the sites visited...
        Okay, is this a possible threat? I use latest Firefox browser exclusively, using the NoScipt add-on, primarily checking various email accounts, log onto MySpace(may check out musician profiles), with a bit of Wiki research at times.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »
        What firewall do you use, since Windows firewall doesn't control outbound traffic?

conky

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:36:51 AM »
          What firewall do you use, since Windows firewall doesn't control outbound traffic?
          Latest version of Zone Alarm.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »
          If you're not getting any alarms from a properly installed firewall i think this is much to do about nothing...

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:22:27 AM »
          If you're not getting any alarms from a properly installed firewall i think this is much to do about nothing...

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Computer Hope
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »
          I'd assume it's nothing. However, you could close all windows open a command prompt (start / run / cmd) and then run the netstat command. This will display all your current open connections, it's possible something in the background is running. Keep in mind things like e-mail and instant messenger programs are going to be continuously looking at the servers they're connected to.

There are also numerous software programs and firewalls that will also report all incoming and outgoing traffic you could try.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
          -Albert Einstein

conky

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
            I'd assume it's nothing. However, you could close all windows open a command prompt (start / run / cmd) and then run the netstat command. This will display all your current open connections, it's possible something in the background is running. Keep in mind things like e-mail and instant messenger programs are going to be continuously looking at the servers they're connected to.

There are also numerous software programs and firewalls that will also report all incoming and outgoing traffic you could try.

I ran the netstat command and got the following...

Does this look copesetic? I think I'll take the experts advice and consider it normal.  A friend recommended this site. I can see why. Fast informed responses. Many thanks...

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Computer Hope
            « Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 02:56:41 PM »
            As can be seen nothings running or has an active connection. So it's likely that your computer is simply sending more data while online and browsing or doing other activities. I'm sure it's fine.

You're welcome on the responses, look forward to seeing you around on the forums.
            Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
            -Albert Einstein

conky

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 06:45:26 AM »

Looking at Network Probe 2.6.1 currently. Am I on the right track? Any recommendations?

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Computer Hope
              « Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 10:54:53 AM »
              You're going in the right direction. However the tool you use depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. If you want the best of the best but someone complicated you can get Wireshark formerly known as Etheral.

http://www.wireshark.org/

This program displays every packet going over which ever interface (network card) you have and even the full details of the packet. Often this is used for packet sniffing but can also be used to see everything coming and going on an interface.

That may be a little too much probably and most users don't need this complex of a program if they're simply wanting to monitor traffic. May want to try one of the below considerations.

A good firewall with monitor is Online Armor:
              http://www.tallemu.com/

Netmeter (graph only) but nice (lots of statistic data):
              http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item14

Other non-free utils with demos:
              http://bandwidth.mingsoft.com/

** If any of the other members have suggestions please post them. I think this would make a good Computer Hope Q&A document and will likely be creating it shortly and any other programs would be helpful.

-Albert Einstein