Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't read data from USB device  (Read 1946 times)

vbremaud

Topic Starter

Can't read data from USB device
    « on: February 26, 2008, 02:22:39 AM »
    Hello,

I have a strange problem, which might be caused by some hardware limitation, or
    by my ignorance in USB protocol (I have no advanced knowledge in USB).

I need to read keys from a USB device (some kind of keyboard). When doing it
    under Windows 2000/XP, everything is fine. When doing it under GNU/Linux though,
    I always get a timeout, even though by ignoring the timeout I get the data
    right (but it doesn't always work, it varies according to the kernels and
    architectures used). After trying everything I could think of, I finally
    decided to dive into intimate USB protocol by snooping over raw USB
    communications. For that, I used the snoop feature in usbcore [1].
    I wrote a simple program that initializes the USB device, read keys for 10
    seconds, and terminates. I first ran the program on a Windows virtual machine,
    and as expected the keys were right. I then compiled and ran the same program
    on GNU/Linux, and as expected, I got nothing else than timeouts. Then I went to
    compare the logs: the working one, and the non-working one. Codes don't seem to
    be tampered with in any way; the only real difference seems to lie in a subtle
    difference at the beginning (interrupt urb instead of urb complete).
    From this point I'm stuck: I have no idea whether they are correct regarding to
    the standard. I have no way to force some kind of trick to simulate the working
    one from GNU/Linux, as it would probably mean tampering with the kernel (even
    for testing purpose, I am not exactly confident). Therefore I have no choice
    but to try my luck at finding someone who would be willing to dive into the
    gory details below and hint me about what's hapenning :-P

Configuration on Windows (virtual machine):
    - Windows XP (no service pack)
    - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual (only 1 core used, virtual machine)   2.51 GHz
    - 256 Mb of RAM

Configuration on GNU/Linux (real machine):
    - OpenSuse 10.2, kernel 2.6.24.2 (last version, not patched, downloaded from kernel.org)
    - AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual (2 cores used)   2.51 GHz
    - 1 Gb of RAM
    - USB chipset: USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)

The above configurations are the ones I used for testing, but the timeouts
    problem occurs on other machines and other flavours of GNU/Linux (including a
    2.4 kernel on an arm processor). Windows seems to always work though (2000 and
    XP tested).

Log obtained from Windows: http://wotan.homelinux.com/vbremaud/usb_win32.log

Log obtained from GNU/Linux (truncated in the middle): http://wotan.homelinux.com/vbremaud/usb_linux.log

[1] http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/7582

vbremaud

Topic Starter

Re: Can't read data from USB device
      « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:09:31 AM »
      The problem is solved: it was a difference of behavior between Linux and Windows kernels.
      If a buffer of 32 bytes is provided for reading and only 8 bytes are available, the Windows kernel will provide the 8 bytes and return 8 as the number of bytes read. The Linux kernel will wait for aditional data, won't get any, and therefore return a timeout. Plain and simple...

Thanks to people who read :)