Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help w/new HDD for dell laptop  (Read 1825 times)

Jammer

Topic Starter

Help w/new HDD for dell laptop
    « on: February 27, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
    Hello.

I recently bought a used dell latitude d520 laptop. It worx  fine but kinda light on specs. Duo2 core, 40gb hd, 512mb RAM. I just bought a new 250gb internal hd. I cant get it to work properly. I install the OS, but I get this error all the time. Says "a problem has been detected and windows was shut down to save my computer". A blue screen, it also says other stuff to try if the error keeps appearing. Stuff I have no clue about, says to disable cacheing and shadowing,but again, I have no idea. It does not give detailed instructions. Should this big hd work on this laptop?? I got it from ebay and it says it was for my model.

One question tho ...... would 1/2gb of RAM be enough to run this?? I believe it is, but not sure. I do not want an ext hd, I REALLY want this one to work.

Thanx in advance for any replies. :P

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help w/new HDD for dell laptop
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:43:28 AM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

You don't say which OS you have installed, XP is assumed.  You may have a problem if you didn't use the original install disk supplied with the laptop.

Half a gig of ram should be ok but on this site a hard drive with "Capacities of up to 100gb" is mentioned.

Others will probably be able to give more detailed info than I can and I recommend you looking at a Dell specific forum.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Jammer

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:06:34 AM »
      XP, and I did use the original re-install disc.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »
      That's fine.  The only grey area left is the size of the hdd which the mobo will support.  Can't attempt to be much more help until you post the actual error message(s) displayed.
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.