Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Subject of updates  (Read 2156 times)

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
    Subject of updates
    « on: February 28, 2008, 05:43:22 AM »
    I read a few post to the original post from Savior back «  on: June 26, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »

It is interesting IMHO how the subject changes over time...although this post itself is not the place to open up to an unrelated, new subject commenting on THAT subject;  i wonder if anyone here has ever wondered how and why "subjects" morp more often than not into something that can in short order have nothing to do with the original post (subject)? For instance are you wanting to comment on this subject? Notice that i say that this post: " ....is not the place to open up to an unrelated, new subject...." yet i spend more time talking about this "unrelated subject" than the subject of computer maintenance

So lets see if i can talk about Saviour's advice to leave MS updater on.

I keep my MS updater off. Here's why: If i leave it on, it endlessly reminds me that there is a program that MS wants to install on my computer. i do not want to install this particular "program", but it NAGS you like a spoiled child or a demanding spouse or anyone who tries to control you by being pushy and even relentless in manipulating you to do what they want you to do. But since i have not found a way to just tell the updater to only notify me of all other updates, fixes, and so on, i turned it off and go to the MS site and do my best to get everything else that it recommends. But if this isn't just a bad dream i'm pretty sure that the download page is noticing that i haven't allowed this program to be installed on my computer and is making it hard to get other things such as maintenance  updates.

If someone knows a way to tell the updater to stop reminding me to download this spy on my PC; please tell me.

One more thought about the subject of updating. i tried an experiment with two "new" "reformatted reinstalled OS" computers. One, i updated every update that was being recommended. The other I did minimal updates. The one i did the least with was noticeably faster than the always updated one. The updated one needed constant attention ( like that child i mentioned above ) the other one was just a pleasure to be with...so i called that computer "Mistress"  Now that's an easy metaphor to understand how one can drift off subject; isn't it?

Sunshine came softly through my a-window today
    Could've tripped out easy a-but I've a-changed my ways....
    The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Subject of updates
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:02:37 AM »
    What update or 'program' is it?

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:21:51 AM »
      neljan,

An unexplainable thing happened after allowing my automatic updater to be available to notify me when updates were available. The first and only update that seemed to be available for the longest time was the one I mentioned and didn't want: an MS program that wanted to monitor, download and install updates automatically. I did not want to install and therefore grant " I accept...." MS that much authority. ( is it any wonder that there is such a conflict between MAC and PC users??? )

I would like to choose what gets downloaded and know as much about the program as I can from forums such as this one ( Thanks for a great site!!! ) or other basic searches with Google or other search engines and from user groups which I joined and go to on a regular basis.

MS continued over time making it impossible to get other updates unless one allowed this BOT program to send what I considered to be TOO MUCH INFORMATION about me to them just to get a few updates that would in theory make my PC experience better...updates that I might desperately need or want but in a way I was being hindered by MS's scheme to allow this bot to monitor me and gather information to send back to MS. Inorder to get other things that I may need or want MS was holding me hostage demanding that I download and install this program in order to get others. 

In the cyber-cafe something happened once I changed the shield from RED to YELLOW. I did not chose to download that program. But somehow it must have downloaded itself. Things that were not so good before are worse now. However I was given a list of updates, and important updates at that..7 of them of which I chose 6.

The program I did not download is IE 7.

As I mentioned in another post, at the cyber-cafe where that bot downloaded itself I started getting that message every time I tried to turn my computer off. IEexplorer.exe is running and needs to be shut down before turning your computer off. ( it doesn't use those words exactly but in essence that is what it is telling me. It also says that if I chose "END NOW" I may lose unsaved information. Than you very much for reminding me about that but NOTHING is open and in need of saving before ending that program and message. What troubles me about that is that I've been using firefox instead of IE6 except to look at the downloads ( MS reminded me when I went to their download page that I needed to be using IE in order to look at and download updates. And every since I used it that one day at the cafe' I can not shut down my computer without having that IE message. And BTW, I have to hit "END NOW" 4 to 6 times before the computer will finally turn off.

If I have to END NOW 6 times before my computer will actually turn off then I wonder if there is more than 1 IE.exe running in some way on my computer even though I do not use it. That is why I did not want to allow that program to be downloaded on my computer. It's ironic isn't it that the suggestion from Saviour was to update and now the update is cause problems that didn't exist before?

KK
      The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »
      Kryptonite

I know what you're saying & I fully understand your reasons & agree with your principles for not wishing to be forced into this 'upgrade' but if it were me, I'd have to just save myself a little bit of agro & upgrade to whatever MS wants - Afterall, it is a Microsoft system that you're using & obviously everything is intergrated together in some way.

Hopefully someone will know a way in which to help you. I know there's more to Microsoft than meets the eye, it probably is some kind of spybot, but unless you're doing something bad then I'd just play nice with them.

Or, you could always change your O.S...?

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 04:30:10 AM »
        Sorry it took this long to answer. The worst part of taking this long is the lost piece of paper with the exact name on it.

In the mean-time i found a way to download other updates that were kept hidden in a manner of speaking until i downloaded AND Installed this MS program that "gathered information". If it sounds paranoid not to want MS to install anymore than is already "in here" Gathering and reporting back. It's not even necessary to be a fan of SciFi to realize that once permission is granted to such a device (program, instruction) who's to say how malicious such a thing can be\come if hacked or worse yet, be taken over in the name of "National Security".
        We "the people" of the USA are IMHO much for vulnerable now.....our "rights" under the Constitution ( for all the yanks and visitors as well to this nation country which i went to war over.

Unless you have lived in a country that is always watching every move you make it's perhaps more difficult to appreciate real "freedom" to do what you want as long as it does not break the law.
        When i heard Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island got bused for possession of 3 joints after a wire tape found out that " she is a user " i realized that THEY really ARE listening to every thing and reading this post too.
        And so it goes.....