Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer wont start after i installed a new video card.  (Read 2511 times)

Supremacy

Computer wont start after i installed a new video card.
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:02:20 AM »
Ok, so i tried to install a new video card on my computer last night. I went to start it up and got to the windows xp loading screen with the scrolling bars and then it goes to a black screen and hangs there. I think my problem is i disabled my onboard video, and the new card i installed doesnt want to work at all. I cant get into windows to re enable the onboard video, and when i press F8 to get to start up options all i get is an option to boot from CDROM, hard drive, or floppy. One time  i got a blue screen telling me it stopped my computer from starting up to avoid damage, but i dont remember what it said. I took out the new video card, and im sure the fix is getting the onboard video working again, but i cant get past the loading screen to do that.

Im running windows xp, its a custom built computer, maybe half a year old. I dont think the new video card specs are relevant to this but if they are ill post them.

Also, my main problem is not being able to use safe mode at all. Ive never had a reason to use it before, and usually its F8 F10 or something, and XP is F8 last time i looked and for some reason it doesnt give me any of the normal startup options, just what i posted above.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer wont start after i installed a new video card.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:16:15 AM »
F8 needs to be tapped repeatedly as soon as you power up and before the Windows splash screen is seen...
Then re-enable the onboard video and re-boot.

NOTE: Although it's suggested often most machines do not have to have the onboard video disabled when adding a video card...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Supremacy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »
I disabled it myself, and F8 wont give me the safe mode, safe mode with networking, ETC. Im going to mash other F keys and see what i get. I think the mistake i made was disabling onboard, now there is no video at all for windows to start up on. Either that or i did something i didnt mean to do. I did disable my anti viris from starting up on startup.

Supremacy

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:26:07 AM »
Ah, apparently my computer enjoys being unique, my safe mode button was F11 for some maniacal reason. I got into safemode and re enabled it, now it starts up fine. Im going to throw this video card in the trash, thanks for the help anyway.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:42:46 AM »
F11 ? ?
Someone is out to get you...
Does F8 go to Setup ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "