Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: image and text size magnified how can i correct back to normal size?  (Read 3145 times)

allecj

After installing a cd-rom game, the size of images and text (including icons and ...EVERYTHING) have magnified.  How can I correct this back to the original size.  I figured out how to decrease the size of the icons, but nothing else and it's very annoying...this is the first of many problems...I tried to restore to a previous date to correct but did something very stupid - I accidentally went into system recovery and part way through the recovery process my husband knew it was the wrong thing to do and turned the computer off.  Now everything is very messed up.  The recovery hard disk space is too full to even perform disk defragmentation safely.  It says that it requires 15% of free space but only has 5% of free space.  Does anyone know if I should perform defrag. anyway??  (Windows XP, HP Pavillion)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:27:54 AM by allecj »

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: image and text size magnified how can i correct back to normal size?
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:40:11 AM »
    What version of Windows is this?
    Your husband turned it off during a recovery process? Now that was the wrong thing to do.
    Now you're computer is in some undefined state between the restore point and what it was before the restore.
    My advice would be to reinstall Windows since interrupting a recovery operation can have messed up Windows pretty severely.
    But before you do that, tell us what version of Windows it is and maybe someone comes along with an easier solution than reinstalling windows.
    « Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 12:06:30 PM by Deerpark »
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

allecj

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »
    We have Microsoft Windows XP media center edition 2005 - I hope that's the information you're looking for - I'm not very computer savvy as you probably have figured out already...I'm not sure how to reinstall windows which is what I would do as a last resort, right?  We would lose anything we have saved, right?  Some good news, I did actually create the 3 recovery disks shortly after we purchased the computer (about 2 years ago) and I did get reconnected to internet despite all of these problems - a small miracle for me...thanks to anyone with advise...I still also would like to know if anyone has information about the size problem if anyone knows what I mean...?

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:31:26 AM »
      I'm not sure how to reinstall windows which is what I would do as a last resort, right?  We would lose anything we have saved, right?
      Correct. In case you need to reinstall you should backup anything you want to save to some kind of external media. (CD/DVD/external hard drive/etc)
      Some good news, I did actually create the 3 recovery disks shortly after we purchased the computer
      You can use these to reinstall Windows. It will bring it back to the factory default state.
      I still also would like to know if anyone has information about the size problem if anyone knows what I mean...?
      I would think this is because the system recovery created some temp files during the recovery process. These are probably taking up room on your hard drive.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

allecj

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:30:09 AM »
      Thank you, "Deerpark" for the time you have taken to help me ... I miraculously figured out how to change the graphic size problem by trial and error.  I right clicked on the screen, went into properties, selected the "settings" tab, and increased the screen resolution, and clicked on "apply".  I think that the cd-rom game (Age of Empires) was what caused the distortion in graphics size....If only I had figured that out BEFORE I tried the restore and accidentally put it into recovery.  Luckily, most everything is working OK...just some error messages pop up when I first turn the computer on which I don't know how to get rid of - yet.  And now my main concern, if you have any info., is that I haven't performed the defragmentation on the hard drive designated "recovery" because it only has 5% free space and claims to need 15% free space in order to put into defrag. maintenance safely.  It says I should eliminate some files to open up space, but then it won't seem to let me eliminate anything from the recovery drive.  The other hard drive has 93% free space.  So I have left it in this state for now....Thank you for any additional info. that you may have.  It looks like I won't have to set it back to the original factory settings just yet. :)

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »
      There is no reason to run defrag on recovery partition, but your real problem is having only 7% of a free space on your main partition. Windows needs 10-15% of a free space to run OK.
      You need to free some space there.