Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer will not turn on  (Read 2910 times)

wh09

Topic Starter

Starter

my computer will not turn on
    « on: March 03, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
    My hp laptop with vista will not turn on. the battery is good and it is plugged in (the battery light is on). It has been giving me problems with turning on, sometimes it takes awhile to turn on or the cpu will turn on and the monitor will not. does anyone know if there is a simple fix or has this happened to anyone else. i thought i'd check here before i paid a bunch of money to a place like best buy. thanks for the help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: my computer will not turn on
    « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
    How old is this laptop ? ?
    If it's less than a year i would be taking advantage of the Warranty immmediately.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wh09

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
      the computer is a year and a half old...so the warranty is run out...is my best bet to take it to a computer repair place?

scadgirl007

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »
        Did you buy the laptop with Vista, or upgrade?  Could it be possible that your computer does not meet the specifications for your version of Vista?

My guess would first be the video card since you've had problems with the monitor.  Does your computer get hot when you use it?  It may also be a burned out power supply.

I have an HP laptop and have endless problems.  It was worth the $390 for the extended warranty plan for how many times I've had to use it!

wh09

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 06:00:11 AM »
          the computer meets the specs for vista, i've been running vista for about 7 months now. ..i didn't get the extended warranty because it was too expensive, i'm kicking myself now for that...it does get hot sometimes, that is what is making me think it may be a power supply issue...the only other thing that had happened to it was i'm an idiot and left it out in the car on one cold night, so i dont know if that would have anything to do with it...is this a fixable problem...if so, what are some suggestions on how to fix it.

muz4k

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:29:59 AM »
            Sounds to me like it may be a video card issue.

What were you doing on the computer just prior to this problem?

wh09

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »
              i dont think it is a video card issue because i wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary before it wouldn't turn on. i would think that its a video card issue if the cpu actually turned on, but i get nothing from the computer at all besides the light that says i'm on ac power.