Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stuck in safe mode  (Read 3933 times)

Trisse

Topic Starter

Rookie

stuck in safe mode
    « on: March 04, 2008, 01:42:50 PM »
    I am stuck in safe mode, when I reboot, it goes back into safe mode. I am running Windows XP, and this computer is about 7 years old. No virus's that I know of I ran a scan the other day, everything is clear. I just do not understand why I can't get out of safe mode. Thanks in advance for your help!
    My answer is probably somewhere in the help forum, but i looked in the basic troubleshooting, I came across how to get out of safe mode, it told me to go to this other area to look, when I got there I didn't understand what to look at, I looked at Windows XP troubleshooting, tried some other links there as well, I can't find it, because I didn't see any key words about being stuck in safe mode or how to get out after that.  Thanks again, I hate to make you repeat something that has to be there, it seems like a common problem that could happen. I am just stuck in safe mode. ahhhh....lol
    Trisse

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: stuck in safe mode
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:55:27 PM »
    Do you get any error messages?

Trisse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »
      none, just goes into safe mode again after reboot

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »
      What about trying a system restore?

Trisse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »
        I did a system restore before this happened, and it won't let me do another system restore, F10...I tried that..it just runs that bar across the bottom of the screen, and then goes right back into safe mode...

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 03:24:18 PM »
        Check to make sure it definately is in safe mode & doesn't just appear to be

Try to change your display resolution

Trisse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »
          how do you do that? see the reason I am sure it is in safe mode because none of my stuff works, I use Mozzila, not internet explorer, because IE always always sends everything into error mode...and Mozzila won't even open and it is on my desktop as an icon.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
          « Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »
          Ok

You say you performed a system restore before this happened, why?

When you restored, did the problem immediately start occuring?

There is an option to 'undo last restoration' within restore, have you tried this?

(remember to backup any documents you may have created since your last restore if you try an undo).

Trisse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »
            You say you performed a system restore before this happened, why?

Because I was trying to over ride a password put on my account by the bf who was trying to tick me off..lol

When you restored, did the problem immediately start occuring?

I had no internet, not thinking, I clicked F1 to go into safe mode trying to get to my desktop, then realizing I needed to put that disk in. After that I couldn't get out of safe mode.

There is an option to 'undo last restoration' within restore, have you tried this? 

How do you get to that, F10 will not take me back to system restore page.

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
            « Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 04:19:01 PM »
            It will depend if you have moved the shortcut, usually its in:

Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Restore

Trisse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »
              Well, I went to the system restore thru programs, thanks, forgot about that.  BUT,,,,,,
              It looks like it is still in safe mode, and when I click on my Mozzilla it won't open....
              when I open IE, it opens
              When I try to open yahoo messenger, it will not open,
              When I open my space im messenger it opens....
              So, now what?
              My printer won't work..
              All programs are listed on the programs list, when you click the start button.
              If you go into the control panel, to add and remove programs, these programs are not listed.
              What does that tell ya??

neljan

Adviser

• Yes
              « Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:53:29 PM »
              It tells me that the start menu shortcuts are there but the programs have been removed.

This was possibly caused by a restore - whether it was caused by the recent restore undo that you tried, or the previous restore, I don't know, it depends when the missing applications were installed.

Let's say that you performed a restore today back to 1/2/08. Anything that was installed backwards from today to that point (1/2/08) will be 'removed' but your documents will (hopefully) remain the same.

I had to restart my computer in safe mode just to check a couple of things. I had a pop up box appear when windows opened telling me it was running in safe mode & also I had 'safe mode' in the 4 corners of my screen. I was also able to open all applications (including Mozilla) & all applications in the start menu were present in add/remove programs.

I think because your display settings have somehow changed & now some of your applications have stopped working (due to them being removed through the restore) it is a possibilty that you may have jumped to the wrong conclusion (quite understandably).

Right click on the desktop & select properties

Select the 'Themes' tab & choose Windows XP

Tell me what happens.......

Tweak

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »
              Trisse: You have to undo (Uncheck) some things that got you into safe mode in the first place. You have to work backwards.
              Try this: Go Back and click Start > Click Run > Type in the Box msconfig > click OK.
              The window opens > click on the tab at the top of "System Configuration Utility Window (Safe Boot) there will be a box on the left side of the window
              "See if you have a X in the Safe Box. You have to UNCHECK THIS BOX, > Click Apply >Click CloseComputer will restart. When it restarts, a message will appear, >Check the Box to not notify you again.

I think you haven't reverse order to get out of Safe Boot, like you used to get into it.   :)

Trisse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 09:36:43 PM »
                Right click on the desktop & select properties

Select the 'Themes' tab & choose Windows XP

Tell me what happens.......

All it did was change the back ground photo...

MAYBE it does just look like it is in safe mode because all the files are large instead of small like it should be...

I did reinstall mozilla, twice, and I still can't open it, I saved the program, and when I click the open tab it won't open.

Trisse

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »
                  You have to UNCHECK THIS BOX,

It is already unchecked...