Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP only runs in safe mode  (Read 2501 times)

tombo

XP only runs in safe mode
« on: January 20, 2005, 01:19:27 AM »
It's me again with this XP lunacy. here;s the history of the problem.

For some long days and even longer nights I've been trying to put together:

MOTHERBOARD
MB ABIT® IC7-G   i875/ICH5-R chipset, Socket 478, 800MHz BUS, ATX format, Intel® P4, audio, Gigbit LAN on board

CPU
Intel P4 - 2.4 GHz

RAM
DDRAM 512MB PC400 APACER® CL2.5

HD
MAXTOR® DiaMaxPLUS®  160GB 8MB CACHE SERIAL ATA

GC
VGA ManLi GeForce FX 5200 128MB TV OUT 8xAGP LITE

BOX
Midi MS® 350W

XP and MAXTOR drivers installation all goes OK, but when I'm trying to start it up the machine freezes (quite early on XP start-up gif thing). First I thought it was because of MAXTOR (larger than 137GB), so I replaced it with my old WD ATI only to get the same result. I tried Win2000 and it worked just fine (barring HD which now pretended to be of 33 GB). I used MAXTOR bootable CD to setup the HD (OK) and reinstalled XP. Of course it got frozen again (very same point). I tried Safe Mode and it worked! And HD seemed to be OK this time. Now what can be wrong with Normal Mode?

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Re: XP only runs in safe mode
    « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 09:06:24 AM »
    Drivers. One of your hardware drivers makes problems. Can you look in Event Viewer and tell us if it's something wrong there? (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer)
    The video card is ok?

viking

Adviser
    • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
      Re: XP only runs in safe mode
      « Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 09:07:11 AM »
      The cooler is well placed on processor? Are parts of motherboard (some chips) that are very-very hot?